• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shadowboxing or slow sparring?

Which one is more beneficial?

I always do slow open hand sparring with my partner since i get lazy if i try to shadowbox.

Shadowboxing is beneficial for speed,and knowing what to do.Slow sparring helps know what to do and getting the feeling of fighting.I would do regular sparring,but we dont have any full body gear like our kwoon(i think thats whut u call them :karate: )

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strange, I've always found it possible to spar without wearing riot gear.

At any rate, the effectiveness of either is simply based upon what you as an individual get out of it.

However, you're going to have to describe what exactly you mean by "slow open hand sparring" in order for me to offer anything more useful than the usual "what works for you, works best" line that everyone likes to post.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Well it all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Shadowboxing is beneficial for speed,and knowing what to do.Slow sparring helps know what to do and getting the feeling of fighting.

Yes, I cut this straight out of your initial post.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Why slow sparring? If you have control you should be able to spar at a faster speed. If you don't have control you need to work on it. You need to master your own body before you can master someone elses!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

:lol: Both r great but people tend to goof around when they shadow box, u gotta have a plan and a system behind it. I mean start slow and from the ground up ie good stance good footwork. Good technique for everything and not just speed. Doing it fast and sloppy with unrealistic combos can be fun but detrimental to your overall technique and progress :cry:

Donkey

This reminds me from a thrad on an other forum : Horse Stance or Squats?

Like in this situation, both are beneficial. Why limit yourself to one? Do some slow speed sparring when you are with someone, and shadow box when you are alone.