• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any free sparring in white crane ?

curently thinking of joining the local white crane class that is being thaught by Lorne Bernard.

I am interested in learning the roots of karate especially the empty hand applications.

I already contacted him with questions but would also like to hear from fellow practicionners of the style:

-sparring : Is there any contact sparring at such classes ? I mean with real kicks and punches ?

(I understand the style is medium/short range but one has to get there...)

-strenght and endurance : Will this style teach me how to confront lets say, a full blown karateka that uses mawashi's, mae geris,back kicks and a flurry of punches to the face ? and learn how to take a hit like in Karate kumite ?

Theses things are the main areas that still need improvement in my Karate and would like to also pursue this goal with white crane.

Thanks !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is a white crane dojo near my dojo, as I recall one of its students said there was a lot of sparring. Not sure on the other questions though.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Nope, no sparring whatsoever. EVER...!!!!!!!

Actually, it probably just depends on your instructor, so you'll have to check it out.

As far as compatibility with karate training, yes, I would wager it would serve you well. A lot of the principles of traditional Okinawan karate are the same as White Crane, as it had a big influence on some of the Okinawan masters of old. Some styles like Matsumura Shorin Ryu are more "blatant" in showing the White Crane origins, but they are all there.

In short, a lot of the stuff you will find will be similar on the conceptual level, and maybe even some on the technical level. That is, if your karate experience is more Okinawan in nature. Of course, it isn't a 1-to-1 direct transmission. The Okinawans took what they wanted from the White Crane schools and combined it with what they already knew to create a hybrid. Yes, a "Mixed Martial Art", if you will.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

But were are not talking bout effectiveness rather than free sparring. As far as sparring mimicking cranes-no. To my knowledge, the methods in one particular system, have other names, per other descriptions, other than crane. Sparring was fundamentally a combination of those methods-not actually imitating the bird at ALL times.

If you look at the White Crane form, you will see elements of EVERY Goju Ryu Kata.......it is a very effective style.....as far as sparring goes.....depends on the dojo......usually, Okinawan Karate uses the two-man forms in place of sparring, or patterned "punch-block" drills.....the highest level of which is known as "Jisin", where it is NOT predescribed, and the attacker goes for whatever he wants (head, chest, or down"), and the defender has to block (or get tagged).....In some older photos I have of some of the more traditional training halls in Okinawa, the background does show some pretty beat up sparring gear, so its safe to assume that aside from the two man forms that accompany the katas, and the punch block drills, the did do free sparring as well.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Is White Crane a style of Karate? (Kung Fu is what comes to mind for me, but I don't know)

Just trying to gather info, because I think this belongs in a different forum but I'm not sure which.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.