• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been practicing Hapkido and Western Boxing for a few months now and I found this Wah Lum Kung Fu dojo on a local street near my house.

I've never really knew what Wah Lum means.

I just want to know if any body here studied Wah Lum Kung Fu or if it's name means something else or can tell me anything about it and if it has any practical uses or applications.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...

"Wah Lum" Means Good Place.

They are a choy li fut style but focus on less than combative techniques. It is a Junked terrestrial style and has wushu-i-ness. It was developed by my teacher's rival when they both studied with Yip Mann, a true chinese grandmaster. the sytem founder, Chan Pui, developed a very good understanding of kung fu fighting basics but lacked substantial knowledge of advanced fighting techniques, as evidenced by my teacher's defeating both Yip Mann and Chan Pui together. Most Wah Lum teachers do not know intimate details of their style's history or its problems.

However, if someone comes to me and asks me to teach them from the beginning i usually tell them to study tai chi, wing chun and wah lum for two or three years until they get a good foundation. It'd be cheaper than paying my hourly fee and i don't think most people want to learn the kinds of techniques that would get them into trouble with the law or a survivor's lawyer.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!