• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where to get breaking boards?

GojuRyu Shawn

Hey. I'm a yellow belt, and I haven't broken a board yet. What type of board is best for breaking? I'm sure I could just go and buy one at ome hardware or something, theres one right near where I live.

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeah you can buy them at any hardware store, typically people break using 1/2 inch pine boards that are about one foot long.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

My friend is brown belt black stripe, and he had to break boards to grade. But that was a diff. sensei before I joined, and now you dont have to. I break pencils sometimes, but I wanna go further. I just wanna see if I have what it takes.

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

get one inch pine, it is technically 3/4 inch though.

get a board 12 feet long and 12 inches wide.

have it sawed into 12 pieces.

breaking should only be done when your sensei

teaches you how to do so. mucking around with board breaking when you dont know what you are

doing is just asking for injuries.

• 1 month later...

Be SURE that you get soft pine wood. These should be about 1' x 1' squares, 3/4" thick. Once you get your squares of pine wood, keep them dry.

If someone tries to sell you some scrap wood that they claim is like pine, don't buy it. The last time this happened, my old school ended up with significantly harder wood, and for the life of me, I was wondering why it was so hard to go through just two boards!

If you want to practice, get a couple of concrete cinder blocks as well (for holding the breaking materials, not for breaking!). Should be fairly cheap. I encourage you to do this with supervision, though. Start out with an easier break, such as using the elbow, and break with the grain of the wood, not against it.

When you are using your hands to break boards, start out with an easier break, such as a hammer fist or the firm, fleshy part of your palm (below your pinky finger). Once you're confident with this, then you can try using your regular seiken.

On another note, you might also want to think about getting a couple of the "re-breakable" boards. These are easier on the knuckles, and can help ease someone into board breaking. While they'll eventually lose strength, and break too easily, at least you'll still get good use out of them.