• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can someone explain gekisai itch to me?

GojuRyu Shawn

Thanks for the tip......gonna be a busy day for me today, but I will get to it ASAP.....promise ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawn.....you pretty much have the sequence ok.....but what is your question about the kata ?

Just to add....Goju Chad was incorrect in saying that the "Goju Kai is the leading authority of all Goju ryu".......The Goju Kai is the organization which represents Japanese Goju Ryu, created by Gogen Yamaguchi, NOT Okinawan Goju Ryu.

Gekisai Dai Ichi is the 2nd in the family of 5 "Geki" kata, which include :

Basic Form #1

Gekisai Dai Ichi

Gekisai Dai Ni

Gekisai Dai San

Geki Ha

There are also some very suptle differences in the performance of the katas, depending on which of the major Okinawan "Kans" is performing the kata.

None of the Gekisai katas are considered to be "black belt" katas. They are not even "Koryo", or "ancient" katas.....those start at Saifa, the first of the "koryo" katas.

As with all kata, the goal is to learn all the aspects of it, and to perform it and understand it to the best of your ability. It is expected that a yellow belt, for example, be able to perform this kata and "understand" this kata as a yellow belt should....It is also expected that a 1st dan should be able to perform it a lot "better", and have a much deeper level of understanding of it, and so on......

Miyagi created the Gekisai katas (which mean "To Wage War"), so that he could "bridge the gap" between the "basic", and the more advanced techniques found within the "Koryo" katas.

Each Gekisai kata builds on the one preceding it, and the practicioner can be brought back to the techniques found within these Geki kata when learning the more advanced kata.

Some kata also have a connection....for example :

saiFA and kururunFA......both have to do with seizing and grabing

or....

seyunCHIN and shisoCHIN

there are common "threads" that are found within the system of Goju ryu that tie it together from even the traditional warm-up to the basic techniques......all the way up to the advanced katas and techniques.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Some extra "useless" knowledge is that Miyagi Chojun hashed out gekisai with Nagamine Shoshin (Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu) because he also wanted to incorporate some Shuri-Te (Shorin Ryu) concepts he thought would be good for his students to practice. This shouldn't strike people as strange, since many Shuri Te and Naha Te (and Tomari Te) practitioners were friends and often trained with each other.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

one thing that i don't understand is ,when Nagamine and Miyagi created Gekisai(fukyugata)Ichi(Nagamine) and Dai(Miyagi) , sensei Nagamine adapted both but sensei Miyagi didn't adapte the first one and just kept his kata(Dai) and continued expanding it. anyone knows why he ignored Nagamine's Kata?