• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can someone explain gekisai itch to me?

GojuRyu Shawn

I mean the moves and how you're taught them.

Me:

Start, Turn left into sanchindache stance, left foot foreward. Left hand Jodan uke. Step into zencoutsadache (spelling wrong lol) punch, shift into sheikadache. Step backwards in sheikadache hiriatoshi. Tun into right foot foreward sanchindache jodan uke, do the same comboish thing. Then step backwards into sanchindache chudan uke, left foot foreward. Step into sanchindache right foot chudan uke, miyagari with back foot, empi, reh kan, hiriatoshi, reverse punch. Do that whole turning dealy, do another chudan. Miyageri, empi, hiriotoshi, reverse punch. Chop-turn again, and do a Mawashi-uke but with closed fists, like a double punch. Bring your arms into you like a bearhug then step out and do one more closed fist mawashi uke. End.

What were other people taught? I know gekisai ni has 3 mawashi ukes at the end in nika washi dache.

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it sounds pretty much similar to what I do. If there are any particular questions i would be happy to do my best to answer them.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

Gekisai itch? Sounds like something you get after a night of indiscriminate encounters...

I learned this kata from a teacher in a different style. I never cared to maintain it, since it was just something I learned extra and I didn't see any new concepts that jumped out at me. However, it does seem somewhat familiar to what I learned.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

after the secound knife hand strike we step back with the left foot into a zenkutzu dachi with right for forward pull both arms back by the side and punch with both arms leg on top, then step up with left leg then back with right leg while doing a mawashe uke pulling both arms back then out with right arm on top. Is that what you are asking about??

a cool fact about this kata and goju is that in goju there is not a particular pregression of kata in a line but rather in a circle with no kata being less or more important (with the exception of sanchin) and I have a sensei in Japan that recently told me that the Goju-kai which is the leading authority of all goju-ryu have just recently made this kata a black belt kata. So it is a very important kata. Also did you know that Myiagi invented this kata?

There is a kata that starts out with both hands in fists that go to your right side...I just saw it in class on thursday, is that what you are talking about shawn? Its different than the first kata you were speaking about at first

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo