• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate to Tae Kwon Do

I agree with ninjanurse, I love the power of the karate punches combined with the hard hitting TKD kicks. I'd say find a school that will let you "test in" to a belt level, not just give you a belt because of previous knowledge, that way you can learn the differences between the arts before taking the BB exam and that way you will be prepared to do well on the testing, as well as having a firm foundation in TKD.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hm. yeah, i plan to take TKD sometime in feb, but at the moment i'm 16, and i'm a BB already, is giving up my BB in karate worth it for TKD? i mean i have to start all over.. which is fine, but as i get older, won't be body become to stiff and stuff like that?

You won't have to "give up" anything, you might have to wear another color belt for a while, but now it should be about knowledge, a belt is just decoration. Most schools won't make you start at the beginning.

As people age, it is proven that an active lifestyle promotes continuing flexibility and overall general health, in other words if you stick with it, you should be able to maintain quite a bit of flexibility well into your "golden years".

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Hey guys, my first time here. I was wonderiing how long it takes to get to a black belt in TKD? At the moment, i'm taking karate.. and its taken me 8-9 years to get my black belt.

That long? Then it is wirth it.

Some of my TKD friends have told me that if you are a really fast learner, you can get to a black belt in about 2 years.

Yeah, from a McDojo....

The reason why i'm asking this is because i want to do some of those fancy high kicks that the TKDer's do. In karate, we do fairly very simple and basic kicks which is great for self defense but i'm more into the fancy stuff.

The fancy stuff is a illusion. It is to fuel the eccentric mind.

Don;t worry about belts, fancy stuff, and sway to peers.

:D

Personally, I think you should go to a TKD school rather than learn on your own. TKD is very kick-centric. I don't think anybody would debate that. There are a lot of nuances to kicking that you learn to get your kicks to really excel. Also, your body is trained for one style. Going to a TKD school will help train your body a little differently. You won't lose anything you have now, but it will work other areas of your body that may not have gotten that level of attention before.

Just my 2 cents!

Good luck,

Mo

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Hey guys, my first time here. I was wonderiing how long it takes to get to a black belt in TKD? At the moment, i'm taking karate.. and its taken me 8-9 years to get my black belt.

Some of my TKD friends have told me that if you are a really fast learner, you can get to a black belt in about 2 years.

Every school and every person is different, so it will take longer / shorter depending on the student's aptitude and dedication as well as the teacher. For what it's worth, my 2 kids and I will have been in TKD for 2 years as of January and we are just over halfway to our blackbelt. I estimate it will take us about 3 1/2 yrs total.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

• 2 weeks later...

:Edited:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

This topic is about Karate to TKD but what I did is TKD to Karate.

I studied TKD for ten years. Two years ago I started studying karate too. Folding each other. Also I studied Wrestling to. Heavy Schedule WOW.

Anyways I found I became a more balance fighter and I became ten times better with my hands. Also I became more of an effective Competitor.

In my experience TKD lacks in the hand department but that’s only my school and my opinion.

To me WTF/TKD was like 90% legs and 10% hands

Now I do both

What ever your martial art, be a good martial artist.

Hey guys, my first time here. I was wonderiing how long it takes to get to a black belt in TKD? At the moment, i'm taking karate.. and its taken me 8-9 years to get my black belt. Some of my TKD friends have told me that if you are a really fast learner, you can get to a black belt in about 2 years.

I've been training in TKD for about 10 years, and I have a 3rd dan. I got my first dan a little over 3 years into my training. But it really depends on the school, because I've talked to other people in tkd and its taken them 4 or 5 years to get their black belt...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

I started tkd when i was 8 and didn't get to first dan until i was 19, but that was due in part to schools closing and instructors dying and things of that nature. usually i'd say the average for people with considerable prior experience is 1-3 years (it's only taken me 9 months to get to reccomended black belt in shotokan).

my advice to you is to find a school which will allow you to challenge yourself...that doesn't necessarily mean the most traditional school or the most liberal either, just a school which encourages constant growth from even advanced ranks.

i have no idea if that helps you at all, but i tried. best of luck!