• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How does Wing Chun Stack up vs other martial arts?

how does it? I'm planning to join it, but i'm curious as to whether or not it works well vs other martial arts. I have been somewhat hesitant because i realize it has barely any kicks and is mainly mid-close range. I thought this could be a problem when fighting vs styles like Karate and Muay Thai.

Does anyone have any experience vs Wing Chun fighters, or stats from tournaments, or even videos. Thanks alot for any input.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Wing Chun could be used effectivly against any martial art, but the key would be making them fight your fight and not trying to stay at a Karate or MT (or whatever else) range.

I don't have experience to back this up but it seems logical to me.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

I would not "stack" one art to another. Each has a reward per the individual desire and dedication.

However, if you are asking for a preference, then it cannot come from someone else, whom may or may not have a approval opinion about it.

IMHO, stop asking about it as how good it maybe vs ___________, instead, like the Nike slogan says "Just Do It".

• 2 weeks later...
I think Wing Chun could be used effectivly against any martial art, but the key would be making them fight your fight and not trying to stay at a Karate or MT (or whatever else) range.

I don't have experience to back this up but it seems logical to me.

Does it really seem logical to you? Seriously now, what is "Muay Thai" range? What is "Karate" range? How do they differ from "Wing Chun" range?

To be quite blunt, there is just striking range- trying to classify ranges too closely (such as kicking range, punching range, and trapping range) just doesnt work in reality.

The only thing I ever really liked about Wing Chun was the emphasis on controlling the centerline, simply because thats emphasized so much when practicing takedowns in grappling arts.

All I'm trying to say is fight your fight. Of course it seems logical to me otherwise I wouldn't post it would I. If you don't agree with me you can stick to saying why and loose the patronising tone, thanks.

That said, yes they do have their ranges and working on distance judgement is important in my opinion. What use is Wing Chun if I stand at the maxiumum range of a MT guy's kicks and try and strike him with my hands? Unless he's about 4' none what so ever.

That doesn't mean I can't close and be effective, it just means trying to fight at that range probably wont be.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Im just trying to convey an idea- Im not trying to be argumenative or degrade you at all, but simply put, when someone is in punching range, they're generally also in kicking range as well. I never said Wing Chun sucks or that it doesnt work. All I was trying to suggest was that you think objectively about ranges- for instance, when Vovchanchyn fought Cro Cop, there was a considerably height advantage, yet punches and kicks were delivered from the same ranges (and often combined).