• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying to get some information on American Kempo

khu19

I've been a reader here for a few months but finally decided to register.

Anyway, I've decided to get into MA, more specifically American Kempo. I was wondering if people could give me some more information on Kempo.

1) What distinguishes Kempo (not limited to American) from other styles of MA?

2) What is different about American Kempo that distinguishes itself from other styles of Kempo?

3) Is Kempo suitable for someone who has a small build, but not short?

4) What factors do you look for in your instructor when trying to find a school or academy?

5) I"m currently 20, is it too late to start?

Thanks, I appreciate any information people can provide.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

khu19, I don't have time to adequately reply right now, so I'll get to that later when I can give you a good answer. Meanwhile, do you know which association your prospective school is with?

Freedom isn't free!

3. Yes it is suitable for someone with a small build. You will learn to fight from many different perspectives and ultimately be able to pick the one that suits you at the right time. Since you are of a small build, technique will be critical along with shape, balance, and accuracy.

More later. Gotta run.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I've decided to get into MA, more specifically American Kempo.

Welcome aboard, and good choice of styles (though I may be a little prejudiced in that opinion :) ).

1) What distinguishes Kempo (not limited to American) from other styles of MA?

Mostly, a good mixture of the flow of the softer styles with the hard moves. Also completeness, though many styles can claim this, and the definition varries. And they are as a rule very effective, though this varries a lot depending on the practitioner and the school.

2) What is different about American Kempo that distinguishes itself from other styles of Kempo?

American Kenpo tends to have a better ballance of hard and soft, where other Kempo systems tend to focus more on flow. Out training methods are also somewhat different, geared more towards the Western mindset. AK also, like no other system I've seen, emphasizes understanding (in addition to mastery of the basics) right from the start. You are required to know and understand the principles and concepts involved in what you are doing right from the first technique.

3) Is Kempo suitable for someone who has a small build, but not short?

It's suitable for everyone, regardless of build or abilities. It was designed to be adapted by the practitioner to fit his physical attributes, his personality and preferences. Your stance changes and the principles and concepts of motion and power, properly applied, do most of the work for you- not your muscles or physique alone.

4) What factors do you look for in your instructor when trying to find a school or academy?

Knowlegable, and able to demonstrate as well as articulate that knowlege. But mostly, he has to have a passion for what he's teaching. His class should be enjoyable, but well run and with no nonsense. And Kenpo is a street self defense/fighting art. They should spar often, and sometimes with hard contact. Their self defense techniques should start out slow and easy, but should be worked up to the point they are done against a resisting opponent who attacks with street force and speed, with variables. Techniques are like mini-kata, they teach principles and concepts, their application, and effective movement under seriouse force. They are not a list of what to do in an attack. If they are taught this way, I'd find another school (though it will probably seem that way at first, until you gain more understanding).

5) I"m currently 20, is it too late to start?

No. In fact, that is a good age to start.

Some other things to look at:

It's not necessary, but it is helpful if the school also teaches some type of grappling. Grappling moves can be extrapolated from the standup techniques of AK, but it is a lot easier to do if you have some basic understanding of ground work. Joint locks and takedowns, and defenses against them are also in the system, but often have to be extrapolated as well. A good school/instrucor will teach these at the appropriate time in your training, but again, Kenpo emphasizes that you should understand well enough to do this yourself. A grappling carruculum enhances this ability.

Affiliation with a good AK organization will help assure quality, as well as provide a lot of resources. One of the best resources is the availability of quality, affordable seminars.

Standing in the martial arts community is a plus. If your school has a good relationship with other schools, even other styles in your area, it can provide you with a chance to cross train, and train wwith people and methods you are unfamiliar with.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Freedom isn't free!