• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shaky before a fight

Gungrave

Wow, I appreciate your suggestions. I sparred with my instructor today as a matter of fact. I found that I was able to kind of clear my mind and focus on trying to find an opening....but ya know what... Thinking of it as 'yellow belt vs. black belt' really didn't help. I knew anything I threw at him would be easily countered so it's hard for me to do anything. But I did see that experience helps a lot, as I've come some ways since the first time. I'm not good at standing my ground yet cuz I'm so tall and he goes low on me and I can't think of what to do.

Long live the Confederac-ah!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

when people go low on you, it's because they realize you aren't 'bending' your knees to counter their action, but instead leaning over. Learn to bend your knees. Drop your center of balance. Practice this daily, just squatting. It will be hard on your knees at first, but if you build up this habit, you'll find yourself less 'open' to such attacks.

Of course, once you develop an appropriate response to this, your instructor will switch to exploiting another of your weaknesses. Just don't view it as him being better, only of you having faults that need to be corrected, and him pointing them out by exploiting them.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I find that stretching and steady, controlled purposeful breathing help with controlling the effects of adrenaline. What I get when I'm squaring off with an opponent is tunnel vision. I guess that it isn't so bad in a controlled arena (like a dojo or tournament) but I'm hoping that more experience will take care of it so it doesn't become a liability in an uncontrolled environment or with multiple opponents.

Good luck!

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

Also, I have a problem of whenever my instructor comes at me, I tend to try to back away and just block and cower away. Pisses me off, but it's reflex. I know I should stand my ground and attack, but what's the easiest way to see an open spot? And what're good techniques to use against people that have a low stance?

Long live the Confederac-ah!

This is just a very general suggestion, but instead of backing off, move forward and to the side, or just at an angle to the side (your choice if you want to move forward or backwards). Moving straight back is never a good idea. Standing your ground and moving only slightly is only advisable if you are very comfortable with your skill level.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Most people expect their opponents to dodge and step back from an attack. Stepping into an attack is actually a very good defense. The strike has not yet accelerated to create a lot of damage. If you do it correctly, you also get your elbows and knees into the fray, so if you can counter quickly, and get back out, this *might* work.

Of course, if your opponent is good at grappling, you could end up really screwed on this move. :lol: I did this twice against the same black belt.

First scenario: He throws a right forward punch. I step in, facing the arm, my right side towards him, my left shoulder at his full arm extension. My right arm went over his, and I got him in the temple with the back of my elbow. Point!

Second scenario, same opponent, a few minutes later: I found my butt on the mat. I stepped in, and he threw me to the mat by sweeping my feet out from under me as I stepped in. :lol:

Lesson: I need more moves :bawling: Of course, he has been doing this 12 years longer than I have! :lol:

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Pacificshore

Black Belt

Styles: 2* Kara-Ho Kempo

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:48 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clear your mind

Lights Out!

i like what pacificshore had to say.. clear your mind.. and relax. Keep practicing.. eventually you will become good :)

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...