• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching Jump Spin Kicks

Hey all,

I have a couple of student that seem to have a mental block ( or fear ) of doing jump spin kicks. They can jump, they can spin, they can kick..... just not at the same time.

Any suggestions on how to get them past this? They are otherwise excellent students and it is frustrating to them that they are having a hard time with this.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teach them to do the jump and spin without dealing with the kick at all...

get them used to the motion of moving through the air while spinning first, the add the kick back in later. The kick is actually the easy part.

Example:

if you are doing a jump spinning back kick, in which you start with the right foot forward and kick with the right leg:

1. Start with a right foot forward stance.

2. Have the student lift the left leg in the air, knee bent.

3. First just have them jump and switch feet, so that the right foot is up and the left foot is down, then progress:

4. With the left foot up, have them jump and turn 180 degrees clockwise, landing facing the opposite direction, with the left foot down and right foot up, knee bent.

5. Try the jump and spin faster, andeventually into a real jump, so that they will spin 360 degrees all the way to starting position, without executing the kick, by bringing the right foot back to its starting position. Emphasize keeping arms in and knees bent and up.

6. Now add the kick back in, but still break it apart, one step at a time...start with the left foot up in the air, have them jump and turn, landing on the other foot in the opposite direction, then have them kick back after they land, and set the kicking foot back in front again.

7. Finally, have them kick before the foot hits the ground, but after they start the spin, and they will be doing the kick, albeit in a sort of stilted, slow motion. Eventually they will be able to execute the technique at full speed while flying through the air, with some practice.

This can be done with all spinning kicks, but this is just an example, and I find it works very well. It's much easier to show than it is to write, though, so I hope I am making sense...

The biggest problem I find with my students is that they try to kick too soon, or they try to jump and spin without bending their knees. watch for these problems. They need to be taught how to jump and spin first, and the kick comes out after that happens...

• 2 years later...

TangSooGuy has very good advice.

The only other thing I can add is that I the main problem I see students that have difficulty with this kicks is they don't rotate their head around fast enough. Their kick is coming out before they even see their target which results in an oddly contorted body. Tell them to get there head around first. The rest of the body will naturally follow.

Tang Soo!

• 2 weeks later...