• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need tips about kicking

ShotokanKid

Can someone give me some tips? My sensei keeps telling me to get my roundhouse kicks higher. I'm a 14 year old male and I'm not very felxible. How can I get my kicks higher? Can someone give me tips like how to stretch and stuff like that?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

leg raisers, hip looseners, and splits AFTER work outs. if you do them before, you lose some leg control.

don't forget the kicking mechanics, and don't forget that you're kicking in front of your pelvis... if that makes sense... y'know, side kick and back kick your leg kicks behind the pelvis, this one you're kicking more forward and across... if that makes sense? :-? that helps get the leg up and your body up there; cuz if you bring it straight up your joints meet together and lock up.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Yeah... definitly some splits! :) Let me tell you.... ive tried the whole split thing and it actually works. Just make sure you do it slowly at first and only as far down as you can go. DONT PUSH YOUR SELF TOO MUCH! but besides that you should be fine. Most likely follow battousai16's advice its good! :)

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...

well the first thing you should do is to just get a better stretch. You should put yourself on a stretching routine, for example do it at least three times a day. Some things that help are those stretching machines if you have access to one of those, however they can be quite expensive (maybe a Christmas idea) or another tip that works well for me is to strap some hot water bottles to your inner thigh when you stretch this gets the muscle warmed and it is eaiser to stretch. Any type of running kata or something you could do to also warm up the muscles, I believe that if you do this for a while you will see some major improvements. Good luck and never give up if someone else can do someting then you can to.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

Light weight training focusing on the thighs, and I must stress LIGHT. Heavy weight training will take away flexibility. See my post on ankle weights: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=203230#203230

these work outs really helped with my flexibility, not to mention speed and power as well, and ankle weights aren't too expensive (think I paid $25 for the set I refer to in the post.) As others have said, stretch fully AFTER your weight training. this will reduce the risk of muscle pulls and you'll get a better stretch after the work out.

(P.S. For your reference, turn kicks are the same as roundhouse kicks.)

Happy Training!!

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Just another word of advice: make sure you raise your chamber as high as possible before kicking. This will result in a higher kick. I can't stress how important proper chambers are to proper kicks. :karate:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

when you say hot water bottles, how do I do that? Can I just heat water and put it into the bottles? What kind of bottle?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Are you pivoting the supporting foot when delivering a high roundhouse?

You supporting heel should end up pointing towards the target if you are doing it right ;)

Osu!

ET

how well do you exeute the mechanics of your kicks?

what kind of stretching routine do you have?

are you stretching properly?

how long have you been kicking?

so far i think you should follow the information that everyone has given you. bye the way how high is your roundhouse kick?

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Just another word of advice: make sure you raise your chamber as high as possible before kicking. This will result in a higher kick. I can't stress how important proper chambers are to proper kicks. :karate:

This is very good advice. I could do splits (almost), but I couldn't get my side kick up there. Now I can with proper champering. Plus I worked on my kicks in slow motion (hold on to something for balance if needed). Make sure your technique is good. Then speed it up.

It worked for me :)

Laurie F