• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the plane that is drawn by connecting your motherline and your central line.

just cos it'd help with me answering questions,

who/where do you train with?

i mean, not all places teaches like how i was taught.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Good point. :lol:

But seriously, nice posts, Drunken Monkey. I like a lot of this deeper analysis of concepts and characteristics rather than some of the other post like:

"Wow, yesterday I sparred and knocked someone unconsious (sp?)!!!!11!!1 lol!!!11"

But, I digress...

I must say, a lot of those concepts are the same as Shorin Ryu and other traditional Okinawan martial arts.

Are there Wing Chun forms that especially emphasize rising/falling energy? Granted, even in Shorin Ryu, these concepts are arguably present in all the kata, but we have some that I feel really emphasize them in certain points.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I must say, a lot of those concepts are the same as Shorin Ryu and other traditional Okinawan martial arts.

All martial arts address centerline control. All seek to guard their centerline while opening, offsetting, or controling their opponents. The only difference is in their methodology.

Any how, I'm waiting for #3 before I tell DM "Good job!" :D

Freedom isn't free!

Well, as I'm stilll pretty mutch a WC newbie, can you explain in more detail the concept of "motherline" please? I've heard of (and am beginning to 'get') the term centreline, as used in WC, but I've not heard of motherline before.

Thanks. :)

BTW, good posts DM! No, seriously! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yah i started learning the form a month ago just like half of it and i cant get the other half until i completely flawlessly noe how to do the beginning of form 1

Well, as I'm stilll pretty mutch a WC newbie, can you explain in more detail the concept of "motherline" please? I've heard of (and am beginning to 'get') the term centreline, as used in WC, but I've not heard of motherline before.

aefi, draw an elipse on a piece of paper (sort of an oval- doesn't have to be perfect). The major diameter is a section that runs through the center at the widest part of the elipse. The minor diameter runs through center at the narrowest part. Now, think of this as a cross section of a persons chest. The point in the center, where the two diameters intersect, would be a top view of the 'mother line'. The point where the minot diameter intersects the front (pick a front...) is a top view of the center line. The central line is the extension of the segment that forms the minor diameter, and ideally runs to your opponents centerline.

If you view the person from the front, and a little off to the side, you see the center line as a line bisecting his body. You wouldn't see his mother line, except where it exits his body and goes to ground between his feet. This is the axis around which he wants to pivot. You, of course, want to upset that axis and make him pivot in an unstable manner. You also see that these lines delineate a plane. Think of it as a plate of glass that rests on his centerline as it is transposed on the ground- the central line.

OK, now that I've confused you this much, think of that pane of glass running from his motherline to your motherline, through both your centerlines. This is a neutral position, with neither of you having an advantage positionally. But if you can move that glass, or move him in relation to it, so that it still rests on the central line between you and him. But, since you control the central line, and by extension the central plane, it runs in a straight line from your motherline to his centerline, but angles off to his motherline. This is a week position for him, as you have leverage as depicted in the top diagram. You also have positional advantage in that half his weapons are further away while all yours are in battery.

"Ask him the time and he tells you how the watch works!" :roll: Hope if that isn't too clear, DM or Jerry Love can explain it better. :dodgy:

Freedom isn't free!