• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running enemy and headbutt question

What to do when someone comes charging angry at you at high speed with the intension to beat you and you know its too late to run away?

And anyone know whats its like giving a headbutt into someone's nose, will my own head hurt? Will his nose hurt for 100%? Overall is it effective?

thx in advance :karate:

Everyday is a fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What to do when someone comes charging angry at you at high speed with the intension to beat you and you know its too late to run away?

There are heaps of ways to defend against this depending on the specifics of the situation. Your main objective generally should be to move to the side so you dont take there force head-on and end up on your backwith them ontop of you. Once you have moved you need to gain some type of control over them and finish with strikes or a submission.

Sounds simple but it really isnt. Just keep practising until you can adapt to the situation.

And anyone know whats its like giving a headbutt into someone's nose, will my own head hurt? Will his nose hurt for 100%? Overall is it effective?

Checkout this site >> http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/index.htm

Scroll down to the article called "STAND DOWN ON THE HEAD BUTTS!". It talks about some of the advantages and disadvantages of headbutts.

Headbutts are a good weapon, when used correctly. But if you mean headbutting in the scenario you just gave, I'd say forget it! Your head and neck will get jammed back, possibly causeing seriouse trauma to your brain and spine. As a relatively minor secondary problem, you are going to likely get bowled over and steamrollered. Cross was right- move to the side and deal with him. If you can't get to the side, step back into whatever stance your system uses that is rock solid front to rear and double punch him, or double elbow him- ANYTHING but a headbutt!

Freedom isn't free!

I think you should just face him if he comes running at you, use your legs like doing a front kick or a side kick, as they will be running they will be hit by twice the power of your kick. as for the headbutt, it wont hurt you if you know which part of your head to use, never ! use your forehead cause it will hurt as hell, but if you do it right then you will get a good result, the nose is very weak and breaks easily and he will panic with the blood, but you need a good timing to hit someone with a headbutt and be very close

I think you should just face him if he comes running at you, use your legs like doing a front kick or a side kick, as they will be running they will be hit by twice the power of your kick.

He may be hit by twice the power of your kick, IF it lands. But this leaves you with half the balance you would have had if you didnt kick. I dont think thats a risk i would be willing to take.

I can honestly say there are probably two good solid techniques to sort this situation.

1. As they charge, once they are in range grab hold of your opponent and drag him backwards as you do this make sure you step / fall to the side so he will slam into the groun and not on you.

2. As he gets close stand your ground and go low grab him round his thighs or lower legs and lift upwards, you then have the choice of either spear tackiling him into the ground or take him straight over the top of you backwards.

I used to play rugby for 3 years and can say on the pitch this situation is quite common and although spear tackles arent allowed they still happen.

:karate:

We are only as good as our weakest strike

I can honestly say there are probably two good solid techniques to sort this situation.

1. As they charge, once they are in range grab hold of your opponent and drag him backwards as you do this make sure you step / fall to the side so he will slam into the groun and not on you.

2. As he gets close stand your ground and go low grab him round his thighs or lower legs and lift upwards, you then have the choice of either spear tackiling him into the ground or take him straight over the top of you backwards.

I used to play rugby for 3 years and can say on the pitch this situation is quite common and although spear tackles arent allowed they still happen.

:karate:

We are only as good as our weakest strike

when you do headbutts,you NEVER use your forehead,it could do a lot of damage to you and also probably get you bruised or cut.Remember you have to headbutt with the top center of your head.Drive it into the nose and watch a red niagra falls.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

If someone is running at you full boar, sticking a kick in his gut is a poor move. Look at the physics of that: you have a 185 pound person coming at you at "x" velocity. He has a great deal of energy coming at you, probably low to the ground. You put out your leg in a kicking motion, ONE LEG firmly on the ground. You may connect with the kick, and he may feel some pain, but in a real fight situation with adrenalin flowing, it may not be an immediate reaction. In the meantime, his MOMENTUM carries him right into you, pushing you over or severely off balance. This puts him at a greater advantage to attack, since he still has stability and you are trying to recompose yourself. The kick "stuff" will work only when there is little velocity involved on your opponents part (he is taking a couple steps toward you, for instance). Best course of action? Step out of his direct path, and help him continue his current course- trip him up or even push him slightly off-balance as he gets close to you. But don't stand directly in front of him and try to take the brunt of his momentum. If you do it right, you may be fortunate enough to get his back and have the advantage. Or strike or kick him as he goes to your side.

KB has some good advice too.

Also, as far as the headbutts go, make sure you use the top portion of your head and not the forehead to strike. The nose is a good target, since a small amount of force can cause a negative reaction for your attacker. But don't rely on the headbutt too much- there is a risk of neck injury or head injury if you do it in the wrong situation with the wrong technique.

Mixed Martial Artist

If someone is running at you full boar, sticking a kick in his gut is a poor move. Look at the physics of that: you have a 185 pound person coming at you at "x" velocity. He has a great deal of energy coming at you, probably low to the ground.

Agree here. This is the problem with schools that don't use realistic force, range and attacks to train with. You don't get a good feel for what is likely to happen in situations like this, and are prone to try things that will get you hurt in a real situation. A headbutt here can dammage you for life. A front kick will likely result in exactly the situation Rich described. Part of the reason a person attacks with a lot of momentum is to try and steamroller you. You have to deal with that momentum! That is the main weapon in his his attack! Either get out of the way, or if that's not possible meet it with an extremely solid stance and your arms should be a wall of defense. Yielding might work, but I wouldn't bet on it. You may be able to get under him and take out his legs- but your timeing had better be perfect or you could eat a knee. But of all the options you could name, if you have the room, get to the side and hit him as he passes!

Freedom isn't free!