• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Enshin Karate good for self defense?

CapitalKarate

Hey all.

I've recently found out that my family and I are moving to Oregon, and so I've been looking around to see what kind of MA's are offered out there. I've found quite a few and there's one dojo that really caught my attention. They teach enshin karate, a mixed style of jujitsu, judo, muay thai, and pankration. anyway, what i wanna know is, is enshin karate any good for self defense? i don't care about tournaments or medals or any of that crap. i want to learn how to defend myself and others. also, if i were to go to this dojo, would it be wise or inwise to possibly take enshin along with MT or jujitsu or maybe take all three together?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From what I know about the style it is good for learning to fight knockdown style and IMO it would be a good base to build from. I might be a little partial in that I love training for knockdown.

Also all styles have "something" to offer for self-defense, you just have to take what is useful.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Thanks to both of you, I really am interested in training in enshin as my base style. I'd like to though for a traditional Shorin-ryu dojo near portland for me to train at as my main art, if not I guess I could just do enshin along with either budo taijutsu (anyone also know about that art?) or wing chun for my tradition art, and then bjj and mt so i can know to counter a boxer and a grappler. Another question to you all.... if you could study any legit karate style, for free, even if they style's dead, what style would you choose?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

wow! thanks, that dojo looks awesome, i'll have to check it out before i move (though taking classes there might not be possible because of the commute, traffic here is HORRIBLE). nother q.. would it be unwise to take ju jitsu and/or muay thai along with enshin? i looked at their class schedual and what i could do (if my parents were willing) is take mjj (mixed ju jitsu) mondays/wednesdays 7:00-7:45 and mt mondays/wednesdays 7:45-8:30, and take enshin tuesdays/thursdays from 7:00-8:30. i'm planning on making martial arts practically the numer 2 thing in my life (other than my faith and everything that implies)

Joshua Brehm