• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont wash your white belt for a very long time, itll turn black by itself =]

I like that..... :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Actually in the old days they didnt wash their belt and the darker the belt got from training the higher your rank was.

Also great article

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

There is a point at which after many many more years the belt's exterior cover starts wearing and the belt would lighten again. That would be after many many years unless someone took a razor to it :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

"I have learn with each rank you learn something about yourself an others it like you just open your eyes for the first time an seeing things for the first time.

"That belt we have work hard for is tie around waist does make us who we are no but it does show how far we have come an how much we have learned.

"But we never forget where we been or who we are but we have gain a new strength we had not know we had we have gain wisdom an new sight

we now see with open eyes instend of closed eyes.

Has anyone read the book called The Budo karate of Mas Oyama? I think the author's name was Quinn, an Australian guy who was Mas Oyama's interpreter for a long time. Anyway, it has the most incredible section on the meaning of the color belts and the progression from one to the other. I have never read anything close to that explantion

• 5 years later...

I have a question regarding etiquette.

Recently we had grading exams and as usual our Sensei is posting the results online in the dojo website for everyone to see if they passed or got a Kari.

After this everyone usually waits for their new belt to be ordered by the dojo and until then (about 1 week..) they wear their previous belt.

Myself not wanting to wait I go ahead and buy my own belt from a different shop and wear it in our next class when all others still wearing their previous belt.

Do you think its arrogant of me acting like this?

I don't do it to feel superior or anything I just feel I should wear it and signify my rite to learn the new kata and techniques in our curriculum that I so eagerly wait for.

Then I'll be wearing my previous kyu belt until everyone else does get their new ones.

My dojo orders belts from a particular brand that I don't like the quality so I buy the adidas series belts to match my gi.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with your instructor to see if it bothers him/her or not. You won't know if you don't ask, and he could clarify better than we could. We will only have opinions, whereas the protocol of your school will be learned there.

At our school, we start teaching new material even before the belts arrive, because the instructor knows if they pass or not.