• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

name translation

Thank you so much!!!

LOL. Yeah, they are tricky. Kovacs is Hungarian, Rahman is, I believe, Middle Eastern, Lai is Chinese, and Sherwood is Anglosaxon.

I agree with Rich67 about the idea of setting up a little business for yourself!

As for my new translated surname, I think I may write it on my gi somewhere. :P

Thanks again!!! :karate:

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you translate my name? I have it down my belt and want to make sure that it is correct. I would look aweful foolish to someone that could read it if it was not accurate. I also didn't know about the half size ones. Mine are all full size I believe.

My name is:

Wesley King Ulmer IV

Could you show each name's translation?

Thanks in advance.

Can you translate my name? I have it down my belt and want to make sure that it is correct. I would look aweful foolish to someone that could read it if it was not accurate. I also didn't know about the half size ones. Mine are all full size I believe.

My name is:

Wesley King Ulmer IV

Could you show each name's translation?

If you have time could you do this one also:

Stephanie Ann Hetrick

Thanks in advance.

Wesley King Ulmer IV

ウェズリー キング アルマー 

ェ in ウェズリー is half size.

Stephanie Ann Hetrick

ステファニー アン ヘトリック

ァ in ステファニー is half size.

ッ in ヘトリック is half size.

By convention, the name should be written on the belt as follows: first (and middle initial) followed by the last name in katakana. [Note the first and middle initial are optional, but are used more often than not.] Personally, I’d skip the ‘IV’ to avoid confusion – with some one trying to ‘read’ the Roman numerals.

EX:

W. K. アルマー

S. A. ヘトリック

There are three reasons:

1. Names converted from the Roman alphabet to katakana tend to be rather long; you would need a very long belt to display a full name such as yours properly. Remember, Japanese names consist of only a few kanji, so a Japanese persons name would only be three of four characters long where as yours is twelve characters long, not including spaces.

2. Japanese never display their first name on their belt or hakama. First names are reserved for those who are inside ‘the group’ or hold a certain position in the hierarchy and are learned through contact and used when permission is given to use them; otherwise, it’s ‘Mr.’ or ~san’.

2. Displaying (your initials &) the last name makes it very easy for someone to understand that it is your last name, and lets them refer to you as Mr. Ulmer, Ulmer-san, or Ulmer-kun. Japanese people sometimes have a hard time figuring out if your name is your first name or last name, just as westerners have trouble figuring out which is which when it comes to Japanese names.

(NOTE: Japanese introduce themselves last name first followed by their first name, opposite to the ‘western way’. Ex: ‘Hello, my name is Jones Tom’ instead of ‘Hello, my name is Tom Jones’. ) :karate:

Thank you. You are awesome. I have one more question if you don't mind.

The name of my system is Keichu-Do. I have looked up the kanji for it, but there seem to be "options" for them. It means "devoting oneself entirely to the way."

Could you show me these kanji? If not, no problem. I am very grateful for what you have already shown me.

Thanks much again.

Perfect. That is the ones that I was going to use. I owe you big. Thanks much. If I can do anything in return, please don't hesitate to ask.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to type my name into a Japanese website using MS IME. Unfortunately, it will only allow me to type half size katakani.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to fix this in IME or if there is another way that I can either type or cut and paste full size Katakani

Specifically I am trying to type the following into full size Katakani:

Anna Paduhovich and Oliver.

Here you go...

アナ パドウビチ

オリバー

What OS are you using?

I can't remember if you can change the size of the katakana with the IME in Windows 98, it's been a while since I used that OS. However, the language bar in Windows 2000 or XP allows you to choose input methods quite easily by clicking on 'Input Mode' and choosing from the dropdown menu.