• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Contact Versus Full Power

I have heard people saying that "full contact" does not mean "full power".

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean?

Thanks.

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full contact can have a few different meanings......In some cases, it can simply mean that contact is allowed to ALL parts of the body, IE: you can punch to the face, kick to the groin, and so on....most tournaments dont allow punching to the face, or kicking below waist level (usually for insurance purposes). Full contact can also mean that whatever areas are "legal" to hit, you can hit with "full power".....In tournaments, the sanctioning body (rules committee) decides what format the sparring takes, whether it is simply "point sparring", which is light contact, or anything else up to "all out, anything goes".

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

At our dojo, since face and groin are allowed targets on any day, full contact means joint locks, sweeps, throws, trips, and kicks down on the knee are allowed. We're never allowed to go full power, except on single techniques under much supervision.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

In japan "full contact" tournaments refer specifically to the Kyokushinkai style of fignting verses a point system of fighting. Although there is no punching to the face in kyoshinkai you wear no pads and strike as hard as you would like. These tournaments are becoming more and more popular each year here in okinawa. It calls for a strong chest and tough legs.

I've been doing Shotokan for about a month and a half and I gotta say that this point sparring/light sparring etc. is annoying as heck. I mean, what's the point of just touching the opponent lightly ? I've read all the excuses for point sparring and I'm not impressed :/

And no, light contact isn't just for beginners, even the black belts do this type of sparring, although I can't say how they spar in advanced class's but I doubt that they'll go full on.

I mean I like the class and the techniques but the sparring is just...I'm a frustrated teenager and punching somebody in the face with full force twice a week would really do me some good.

- Musse

"Be careful: The toes you step on today may be connected to the * you'll be kissing tomorrow"

I mean I like the class and the techniques but the sparring is just...I'm a frustrated teenager and punching somebody in the face with full force twice a week would really do me some good.

Hehe! What about when you're on the receiving end?

The flip side to your frustration of point sparring, is the frustration of not being able to train 'cuz you got your butt whipped and now your knee is damaged, or your face is damaged, or you hand/arm is damaged...

A lot of good knowing martial arts will do you then. :P

Maybe it's an age thing, but I don't need to get beat up to know I'm learning some skills. :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I've been doing Shotokan for about a month and a half and I gotta say that this point sparring/light sparring etc. is annoying as heck. I mean, what's the point of just touching the opponent lightly ? I've read all the excuses for point sparring and I'm not impressed :/

And no, light contact isn't just for beginners, even the black belts do this type of sparring, although I can't say how they spar in advanced class's but I doubt that they'll go full on.

- Musse

Find something else then. If I don't have to concentrate on not collapsing while walking home after practice, I know I didn't go hard enough.

- Musse

If you train with good enough control to strike your partner lightly it makes it that much easier to hit with full force. Its about timing and distancing. As long as you supplement this type of training with regular work on the heavy bag and or target shields it should be a great benifit.

Without actually hitting something with a good amount of force periodically you could lose a bit of power and technique.

Where I train we point spar. We have about 50% power on bodycontact or a little more for the upper ranks. Adults brown and up are allowed light face contact. The adults communicate with each other before we start on the level of contact (He bill, I'm a little sore and I have to work tommorrow take it easy on the ribs please ....ect.)

Upper ranks also use sweeps, throws, takedowns and locks to a finishing technique.

The goal is to work with your partner to make each other better not to win or lose. If I have a weakness I want my partner to point it out to me and vice versa.

Sparring is not fighting it is a valuble tool and learning process and we need to use it as such.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.