• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will BJJ help with HS wrestling

You see, I wrestled and have taken BJJ, but in HS wrestling when you are on your back and you have someone in your guard then that would be called a pin. But in BJJ, you can get HUNDREDS of moves from that position. Most of them tapping you're opponent out. In a street fight situation, would you rather pin someone or tap them out with a perfectly exicuted submission manuver?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Bad, I forgot to make my second point. That being that it has been extensively proven that an average BJJ fighter will beat an average HS level wrestler 9 times out of 10. On the UFC, PRIDE level it is almost the same. The only advantage I can think of in wrestling is takedown and takedown defense. If anyone would like to argue this, I'll be happy to watch the olden days of UFC with the Gracie and watch him tap out HUGE wrestlers. Also watch Frank Mir tap out Tank Abbot and Tim Silva. OR we can watch GIANT SYLVA get his 7 foot 2 385 pound A$$ kicked by simple BJJ fighters. AND if thats not enough, take who you think the best two wrestlers are in the world right now... Cael Sanderson and Ruland Garner,Cael is 185 or 205? Put him in the ring with Evan Tanner or Phil Baroni or Dave Terrel. What about Randy Couture or Wvanderla Silva We seen what 26 year old Dave Terrel did to Silver medalist Matt Lindland. KO'd him very brutally. As for Garner, put him in the octagon with Andre Arloski or my boy Frank Mir(my favorite fighter)or even better yet, put him in the ring with Fedor! Who wants to make a friendly bet on any of these fights? By the way, Garner is really coming to PRIDE.

Alot the ground control positions are the same, however the objectives are not. BJJ you'll divide your time amongst submission moves that you can't use in wrestling. Ultimately you need to train in what you want to compete in .

wrestlingkaratechamp17

While I agree with a good submission base, some of your comparisons are questionable.

Tank fight could of went either way if he landed more of those bombs. I wouldn't want to be average anything against tank.

I don't recall exactly but the Silvia fight looked like his arm wasn't fully extended. There was a pop of the forearm bones below the elbow joint -maybe aided by a stress fracture? Anyways, Silvia was not in a good position, but until the tap all kinds of things can happen (watch chonan vs newton). The actual bone breaking vs the joint comming undone I see more of a fluke.

Did you watch any of Giant Silva;s fights? He had Herring (wrestling background) running around the ring avoiding some heavy long distance hands. Herring was eventually able to get in and submit him. Ogawa is a pro wrestler and judoka. Silva won against Sentoryu by ude garami.

Terrell finished Lindland by strikes, this doesn't support you submissioin theory. Also take a look at lindlands record, not bad! Baroni has wrestling background, Randy Couture!? Also excellent background in wrestling. Silva was training in muay thai long before he started BJJ. In fact I think he has won almost all of his fights with striking.

Fedor is an excellent judoka and samboist yet probably half his wins are from striking.

All this shows is that you need good grappling and striking in MMA. As for your bet, what about the reverse - you put any of those guys in a world class wrestling meet and see how well they do?