• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will BJJ help with HS wrestling

I'm just curious. Would a student that had been in BJJ for a few months but didn't have any wrestling experience have a chance at making an HS wrestling team? I know the techniques are different, but would it help them get the basic skillset?

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

maybe a tiny little bit... but theyre quite different... and in wrestling rules bjj doesnt have much to offer.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Well, you can forget about using the guard, since it would end up with you being pinned, but I don't see why principles like switching base, front/side/back control, or other moves like hip escapes etc. wouldn't help you to be better at wrestling. I wouldn't think that you could just walk onto a varsity team just using soley your JJ skills due to the diference in rules and which techniques are legal in wrestiling, but maybe after practicing with the team for a while . . . who knows. Having wrestled in Junior high, and now being a few months into JJ training I can tell you that all the submission moves you learn in JJ are useless in wrestling because submissions are illegal, but I say go for it. No reason not to tryout right?

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I think you would have a hard time adapting to the rules of wrestling, I know that wrestlers have a hard time breaking the bad habits that HS wrestling has given them while trying to learn Grappling Martial Arts. Its worth a try, if you want to try out for the team I say go for it. But remember you are dealing with two different things.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

It wouldn't really be all that useful, but balance and coordination should be slightly improved.

In reality, a few months of BJJ won't do much for getting you on a HS wrestling teams. At least not as an A-team wrestler. Too much experience to deal with.

On second thought, I forgot about the lower weight classes. Our squad sometimes had a hard time filling the low weight classes.

BJJ will help you with your wrestling in a way with strength, but with technique no. I know a lot of people that are in the HS team and then go to my BJJ class and tell me they are complete opposite worlds. Hope I helped.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

I guess it would depend on your skill level in BJJ. If we're talking about a Bjj Black belt, yeah it may help. Afterall, you've got allot of experience under your belt. AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER NEVER TO GO TO GUARD. Many of the takedowns are the same.

As a beginner, however, many BJJ schools only train in Gi. This would not be very useful to a wrestler who needs to hunt for underhooks and dosen't have any clothing to use.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."