• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Famous People's MA's styles.

Please feel free to redirect me to another thread if there is one on this but:

What style/s have the following studied: (exact styles and details are welcome - thanx)

Wesley Snipes,

Steven Segal,

Jason Statham (I dunno about his MA background but he seemed pretty good in The Transporter)

Nicholas Cage (same again - he seems to be able to handle himself but....?)

Thanks guys.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wesley Snipes: Kempo I believe, I know it's some style of Karate or another. I know he's at least a fifth degree black belt in whatever it is.

Steven Segal: Aikdio, which he also used to instruct, though I'm not sure if he still does, although in his movies he's a bit more aggressive than is usually taught so I've heard. (Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.) I think he's got a great style of his own. (Martial arts that is, not acting, but I do like his movies.)

Jason Statham: I saw him use a lot of Tae Kwon Do moves in The Transporter, (a nice tornado kick in one scene) but I'm not sure if he trains regularly.

Nick Cage: Nothing. I'm pretty sure he doesn't do any martial arts, but who knows what kind of training and exercise he does to be able to do all those action films, or what's been taught to him on the set. I guess if hollywood stunt men have their own martial art, he's probably picked up a few moves from it.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Jackie Chan and Jet Li both studied Wu Shu.

Van Damme did ballet and knows a couple basic karate moves (like sidekicks, roundhouse kicks, etc.)

Chuck Norris studied 10 styles of MA, including Jeet Kune Do, Tang Soo Do, Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

Just to start it out with a san soo plug... Kathy Long's foundation art is san soo. And if you don't know who she is, be ashamed. :P

Chuck Norris' foundation art is tang soo do. It was the system he studied almost exclusively for decades before studying other arts.

Van Damme having studied ballet is correct. When he entered into making martial art movies, he only had 'actor training' in martial arts. He has since had actual training.

Jet Li studied wu shu exclusively

Jackie Chan studied wu shu, as well as other martial art systems.

Steven Seagal is an 8th degree bb in aikido. he also studied karate (what type, i don't know) and obtained ranking (specific rank, i don't know). His movie antics are mix of both.

Jeff Speakman is a 6th degree bb in goju ryu karate and a 6th degree bb in American kenpo karate

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

jason statham had formal MA training at some point or other, which allowed him to do most all of his own stunts in the transporter. i'm not sure what that training is, but i would guess TKD. i dunno, i'm not really a fan, but it's what i heard.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

don't take this the wrong way Little D, I'm not trying to call you out on anything, and I'm sure you probably didn't mean anything disrespectful, but I'm just wondering what the "slight skin color difference" has to do with anything on this thread?

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor