• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first Kata tournament...

Dijita

... and I'm super nervous. Does anyone have any advice? I know that I know the Kata, but I sometimes feel like a monkey out there, and I can't get it to flow nicely. I'm also known to completely draw a blank when I get nervous. I really enjoy Kata, I just don't feel like it is my strong point.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Train the katas to be performed. Try to relax the day before the tourney. SLEEP well and go there. Try not to see anyone when performing. Be there alone with yourself. Be crisp and strong, elegant and relaxed at the same time. Perform the katas you know best, don't try to appear there with a new kata you've learnt the days before. It won't work. Bow correctly and show good spirit. DON'T FORGET TO KIAI. Show awareness and perform the kata like your life would depend on it (it's a fight in the end, although the oponent is imaginary).

If you make a mistake DON't SHOW IT. Pass the bad moment as if nothing happened. Don't draw attention to it. Be sure on yourself and do the best you can. After that relax and no matter the result be proud you have passed anothe exam in your life. Don't get discouraged and learn from defeats as well as from victories.

GOOD LUCK :karate:

Well said Ramymensa......just relax and do your thing Dijita........youll be just fine ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

1- opening of the kata is very important for judges

so , close your fingers when you bow, don't show your back of neck , practice the proper opening with a higher rank.

2- each technique start by a look toward the direction of movement, it shows your awarness.

3- all the kicks should finish with a complete control ,chamber your leg back

4- don't forget breathing and show it to judges.

5- keep your fingers closed in shutos, at least your thumb should be closed

6- allways work on the corrections you need for each kata in order to finish where you start.

and good luck.

when i judge i also look to see if the person performing the kata is doing so convincingly. meaning that does it look like some one is attacking you or yre you just doing choriographed (sp?)moves.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

If you make a mistake just keep going since the judges are all from differant styles if you maintain your poise they may not pick up on it.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Go to the Articles section and see my article on Mind Dumping. It applies specifically to what you are talking about.

Also, P.A.L. has some good advice as well.

Start and end strong in Kata - that's primarily what the judges see in judging so many katas. Make "big" actions on all techniques with good and proper breathing. Rest the night/day before and give your body a chance to rest - don't wear yourself out for the tournament. If you don't know your kata the day before, you won't know it during competition... The competition will be the true test as to if you really know your kata as well as you think you do.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

1- opening of the kata is very important for judges

so , close your fingers when you bow, don't show your back of neck , practice the proper opening with a higher rank.

Don't show the back of your neck? That's the first time I've ever heard of that one. Yes, the opening is important, but not crucial...or at least, in the 24 years I've been judging kata at tournaments. Look the judges in the eye, be respectful and show confidence.

2- each technique start by a look toward the direction of movement, it shows your awarness.

Awareness..yes, but also is the correct way to do a kata. Think about it, and most systems don't that I've seen. How can you move in a different direction, or do a technique in a different direction, if you don't "see" the person that is attacking you? It's something I stress from my people when doing kata...."Look first, then move!"

4- don't forget breathing and show it to judges.

I personally, don't look for this from competitors. My system uses natural breathing.

5- keep your fingers closed in shutos, at least your thumb should be closed

Absolutly! As with any and all techniques, the judges should be looking for poor fists, power, speed, control, stability (try not to wobble), etc. The higher your rank, the more picky those points will be.

6- allways work on the corrections you need for each kata in order to finish where you start.

Not all kata start and stop at the exact same point, and as a judge, I've never looked at that aspect.

One thing others have pointed out, and I agree with...is if you make a mistake...for example, do the wrong technique..it is CRUCIAL to keep on going and try not to make it obvious (rolling eyes :roll: , sighs, grimace's, etc) that you made a mistake. Judges should NOT be judging you on the correctness of the kata, but on flow, power, etc. I'm assuming this is an open tournament though...so if it's a specific style rournament, that wouldn't apply.

I've seen people fall down and keep going so it looked like it was part of the kata (I knew it wasn't, but they recovered and covered it up well), and a few people that had their belts literally come undoen and fall to the floor...yet they never broke rhythm and ;let it phase them. I gave these people good scores because of their concentration.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

As someone told me recently (not in regards to tournament kata, but whenever you do kata), someone watching you should go think "ow!" whenever you execute a pain-inducing technique on your imaginary opponent in your kata. Visualization is the key.

And as others say, just do what you always do (simple, isn't it? :) ) and you should be fine.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

You guys all have awesome advice! Thanks. It's a Kyokushin specific Kata tournament. Once I finish my Kata, I gotta go and get ready for my Knockdown tournament in the afternoon. Hehe, Saturday is going to be a challenging, but fun day!

I'll let you all know how it turns out... uhh.. that's if anyone cares. :P