Martial Art Tattoo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several tattoos, but I don't know if I would ever get a martial arts related tattoo. Something in me feels it would be verging on inappropriate, depending on what I got.

I just wanted to get everyone's take on this. Do you consider this tacky, immoral, inappropriate, etc?

No, but I think that size and location play into the "Tacky" factor. For example, the back of your head may not be a good place if you decide to go into banking, but if you are a outlaw biker you could get away with it. :lol:

It all boils down to personal taste. You are the one who has to live with it. I have been kicking the idea around for a while but haven't been able to commit. Maybe one day or maybe not.

Post that picture when you get it.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Go for it !!......Do your thing and be proud of it....I have a few myself.....On each arm, I have a band of thorns, with kanji within the bands. The thorns and the red in the tattoo represent the blood and pain of the training Ive been through. On my left arm, the kanji for "Goju Ryu"...chose the left arm for that one cause its closest to my heart. On my right arm, the kanji within the band are "Bushido", cause I try to live my life by that code, and Ive been told that my right reverse punch is a killer....lol.....Those kanji are in Japanese.....On my neck are the Chinese kanji for "Master Kung Fu Killer".....they drop down vertically between a huge double dragon on my upper back.

These days, tats can be removed, but get what you want, and keep it......it represents who you are at a certain time in your life.......Like I said before.....Do your thing.....and be proud of it. :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

As long as you're not taking any trips to Japan soon. From what I hear a tattoo in the wrong place will identify you with the Yakuzas. Depending on your style, I think the Okinawa symbol would look good anywhere.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Personally, I think it's cheesy and cliche... but that's just me. I see it as defacing my body and my goal is to tune my body and mind. I also think it's showing off and shows poor humility.

*shrugs*

JMHO.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

I also think it's showing off and shows poor humility.

I was thinking about getting one, but that's my dilemma. Where do you draw the line between pride in what you've accomplished and humility that MA is supposed to teach? I would put the tatoo where it would be easily covered by a gi, polo shirt, etc. Eh... I'm going to side with, "It's your body." Putting the kanji on your knuckles (ala Jake and Elwood) would probably not be the greatest idea.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I got a tattoo several years ago, well before I started karate. It's of the gargoyle from Bram Stoker's Dracula. I had it done on my shoulder blade. People ask me now if I regret it and I say, "Why should I regret it? It's a prt of me now!". The way I see it, the day that my worst worry is a tattoo on my back, is the day I'm living a rather superb life!!

I still may get another one, if I do it is likely to have oriental overtones!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I got a tattoo several years ago, well before I started karate. It's of the gargoyle from Bram Stoker's Dracula. I had it done on my shoulder blade. People ask me now if I regret it and I say, "Why should I regret it? It's a prt of me now!". The way I see it, the day that my worst worry is a tattoo on my back, is the day I'm living a rather superb life!!

I still may get another one, if I do it is likely to have oriental overtones!

Cool :D.....should start a tattoo photo album to put out ideas for those thinking about getting one :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia