• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Art Tattoo

I've recently commisioned the design of a Martial Art tattoo. I just wanted to get everyone's take on this. Do you consider this tacky, immoral, inappropriate, etc?

I already know my answer, i'm not trying to decide on anything, i just wanted to hear the opnion of the Martial community. I've seen drafts of it. It's features the Martial Art Kanji in the middle, and includes the Tae Kwon Do and Karate characters. When i reach Black Belt level in Kenpo, i'll have that added.

when i get the finished result, i'll post a picture

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two tatts that were inspired by my life in the MA's. (I am also 1/2 Japanese, so go figure :) )

I have a dragon with my last name written in Japanese. The dragon represents strength and patience.

I have kanji on my other arm that translates to "the way of the warrior" or "Bushido", the samurai/warrior code. This also has a meaning to me, since I try to live my life with honor, respect for others, but I will not let myself be pushed around and will stand up for what I think is right.

Always get tattoos that have a personal meaning to you, and try to avoid putting too many "themes" on your body. For instance, if MA's are your main theme, you don't want to go putting cartoon characters (which are a bad idea for tatts, IMO) or gangsta related old english writing on it . Keep with the oriental theme, traditional style tat. Put tigers, dragons, samurai, and other similar styles. It makes your tattoo work much more balanced and in line with your key interest. Now if you have other interests, like motorcycles or a script you want, put it in another area of your body. Putting a motorcycle or HD logo next to a dragon and kanji would be a bad move.

Mixed Martial Artist

I have a total of 5 tats right now and 4 of them are martial art related and the other one military related, all things that had a major impact on my life for the better. I even have the crest of one of the styles I studied. My Instructor and I got permission from the head instructor to do so, its my favorite one. Anyways go for it tats are pretty cool, I have placed all of mine so I can hide them if needed for some events, shoulder blades, shoulder and bicept area.

cool

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I've recently commisioned the design of a Martial Art tattoo. I just wanted to get everyone's take on this. Do you consider this tacky, immoral, inappropriate, etc?

I already know my answer, i'm not trying to decide on anything, i just wanted to hear the opnion of the Martial community. I've seen drafts of it. It's features the Martial Art Kanji in the middle, and includes the Tae Kwon Do and Karate characters. When i reach Black Belt level in Kenpo, i'll have that added.

when i get the finished result, i'll post a picture

Well, I have several tattoos, so I personally think it's a great idea!

I have the Japanese script for "shotokan karate" on one arm, with a sillhouette of a karateka doing a kick underneath it.

I agree with Rich about having "themes". I have a few tribal tattoos, as well as my martial arts ones, but they're in a separate place to the martial arts ones. My main 'theme' for my tatts is that they are all in black or grey. I was tempted by a dragon design that I saw in a book a few weeks ago, but it was in red, which wouldn't have fitted in with my other tattoos. I'd have had to have had that tattoo in a completely separate place entirely - probably legs or lower body as I haven't got any tatts there (yet!).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

You know what would look cool?

A dragon (oriental dragon, not European medieval dragon) that not only curls upon itself like in pictures, but the tattoo actually curls up from it's tail down around one of your legs, then up around your entire torso, like it's climbing up your body, with it's head up at the top of your back!

No? :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean