• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

okinawan karate or japanese karate

maku

just came across this web site and read an article is japanese style karate better than okinawan style . well to answer this i have just finished a book byaustralian Patrick mcarthy kyuryu uchinadi researcher and martial artist and a quote from the founder of goju ryu sensai miyagi chogun said "there are no styles of Karate just varying interpretations of the principles" that should solve the argument :karate:

Edited by maku

4th kyu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best one is the one you are able to use when it counts...some like the punch, kick, block styles without much flash and others like the punch, kick, lock, block, throw/takedown styles. It's up to you to make them work.

different variations

THATS CORRECT

basically its like that all around the martial arts world, people are basically training different variations of combative training.

Its nice to hear people admit to that I see a lot of people in denial.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Sure,

ok, I do agree but some of those variations are imoortant.

In Shotokan I was taught to make a rising block up over my head in a lifting (or, at best, a hittting up motion) and the first strike was the following counter.

After I switched to O'Sensei Richard Kim's Shorin-ji karate, I learned to make the same motion but to direct it at an angle into the opponent's face so the block itself became a strike.

I was a brown belt in Shotokan so I don't believe I wasn't taught anadvanced application, and in Shorn-ji I learned this as a low kyu grade (I started over).

Sometimes small details are important.

True, but regardless of style, there is some amount of technique that must be discovered by the student. A good Sensai will recognize which technique may and may not be adapted.

I saw in one of my grapples that a particular move would naturally create an opening in an opponent to throw an elbow strike. On the other side, I've had a 12 year old green belt teach me a very impressive trip manuever. Seriously, not to start any gender wars, but I would never guessed that a 12 year old girl who weighs less than 80 pounds could take down a 250 pound, 25 year old male. Hey, it happens. :lol: She adapted a manuever that she couldn't get to work into something that did work. One day, her limbs will be longer, and she'll be able to use the technique as Sensai taught it. Until then, she very appropriately improvised. That's part of the growth of the martial artist.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I think that the modern conception of karate is based on the japanese art which is unfortunate because the orignal systems had so much to offer. As for this article you read, did the practioner study both Japanese and Okinawan karate because I have and well okinawan goju is much more comprehensive IMHO.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Sure,

ok, I do agree but some of those variations are imoortant.

In Shotokan I was taught to make a rising block up over my head in a lifting (or, at best, a hittting up motion) and the first strike was the following counter.

After I switched to O'Sensei Richard Kim's Shorin-ji karate, I learned to make the same motion but to direct it at an angle into the opponent's face so the block itself became a strike.

I was a brown belt in Shotokan so I don't believe I wasn't taught anadvanced application, and in Shorn-ji I learned this as a low kyu grade (I started over).

Sometimes small details are important.

No offence Ted, but I was never taught that in a shotokan dojo.

I think that the modern conception of karate is based on the japanese art which is unfortunate because the orignal systems had so much to offer. As for this article you read, did the practioner study both Japanese and Okinawan karate because I have and well okinawan goju is much more comprehensive IMHO.

Agreed......back in 1996, I took a dual sensei test in both Traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu, and a combined version of Japanese/USA Urban Goju Ryu.

After passing the test, I had some very lengthly conversations with some seriously high ranking people on both sides of the fence. My general questions regarded the (what I considered to be) DRASTIC changes and differences between the two systems. I decided from that day on to dedicate my study of Goju Ryu strictly to the Traditional Okinawan (original) version, I have had no regrets, and I havent looked back, simply because, if you want the "best".....stay with the original.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

You said it MJ, after we made the switch from a modified Japanese system ( Don Warnner), it felt like I was learnig the real thing, This style of karate was so deep and effective it was shocking, I never looked at karate the same way since, well okinawan karate

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

"Deep"......

Yep.......Goju (real Okinawan Goju) has so much depth to it......so many subtle nuances.....so much "going on".....it truly is an extremely "complete" art.....very effective, whether youre talking about "stand up punch and kick", standing grappling, ground grappling.......simply put.......Okinawan Goju Ryu has it all.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"