• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Striking On The Ground

Wow, the top two posts on this page are some of the most unintelligible posts I've ever read.

The problem with kicking FROM your guard is if you try and miss, you're guard is as good as passed. Plus you'd need them to be far back in your guard, in which case they're probably dishing out the hurt on you.

You call other people "unintelligent" and you claim that by missing a kick, your guard is going to get passed? Havent you ever heard of hip positioning? Dont try to sound like an expert when you dont know what you're talking about.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You call other people "unintelligent" and you claim that by missing a kick, your guard is going to get passed? Havent you ever heard of hip positioning? Dont try to sound like an expert when you dont know what you're talking about.

The word I used is unintelligible. I even posted the definition, and you still missed it.

If you try to kick someone in the face from your guard, you first have to bring your leg up towards the center of your body. If the guy is far far away (not really IN your guard) and you miss, that's one thing. But if the person is IN your guard and you have your leg/foot lined up with the center of their body instead of to one side, it makes it much easier to pass.

Explain what you mean more and maybe we can learn something, or at least have a meaningful discussion about it.

Some people have brought up good points, so I'll just throw in some stuff to the mix.

I've found using the thumbs and fingers (of course, this really applies to any good, preferrably bony part of your body as well) are a good way to get more bang for your buck, without having to worry about getting a real solid forceful hit in (if you're in to that sort of thing), since you can apply the pressure over a much smaller target area (pressure points or sensitive areas are also a bonus). Using the thumb (pressed up against the top of your fist, not isolated) is one of the most efficient methods of energy transfer into the opponent that I have practiced (and have had the misfortune of being practiced on).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

If you try to kick someone in the face from your guard, you first have to bring your leg up towards the center of your body. If the guy is far far away (not really IN your guard) and you miss, that's one thing. But if the person is IN your guard and you have your leg/foot lined up with the center of their body instead of to one side, it makes it much easier to pass.

Explain what you mean more and maybe we can learn something, or at least have a meaningful discussion about it.

Ok, it sounds as if you're saying that if the person misses with the kick, you can simply go around the leg and get cross side. This is almost like saying that when you shoot in for a takedown, I'll just punch you in the face and knock you out (in other words, its MUCH different in practical application than theory).

An experienced person with good hip position would have no problem regaining a position like this (its common at times for someone to end up in positions where your opponent isnt in the middle of your guard, and you dont have any hooks). To take it a step further, you're never supposed to be flat on your back, but rather always on the side. It appears as if all you need to do is step to the other side, but its MUCH more difficult than that.

When I say hip position, Im talking about the ability of someone to elbow escape, or in any other way escape. Passing the guard (especially in no gi training) often requires that you control the persons hips. If you dont, the odds of him escaping (and you failing to pass) are better.

• 2 weeks later...

I practice Pankration/grappling with a friend of mine every so often, and because of his size and experience, I'm usually stuck underneath him. From the bottom:

Pull the attacker in close if you can, so his punches aren't effective. Headbutts work, but chinning requires less energy. Grinding the chin into a sensitive area (such as the Vegas nerve in the neck, into the pressure point in the collar bone, into the temple, throat, etc. etc.) works well, as well as elbow strikes.

If you can't pull him in close (or don't want/decide to), there are pressure points in the forearms, elbow joint, bicep, etc. that you can hit as well. Another option is to roll him over (basically, carry him with you through a back roll. Wrap up a leg with yours, pull him in close, and push with the foot on the ground while lifting with the one wrapped around his leg.).

Joint locks add another fun twist to things, and require very little energy.