Striking On The Ground

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can be. If Im in my guard position, and I get a boot to the guys chin, he's probably going to be ina world of hurt. Now its going to be more difficult to get the kick, but if I maange to pull one off its just as effective

Wow, the top two posts on this page are some of the most unintelligible posts I've ever read.

The problem with kicking FROM your guard is if you try and miss, you're guard is as good as passed. Plus you'd need them to be far back in your guard, in which case they're probably dishing out the hurt on you.

Wow, the top two posts on this page are some of the most unintelligible posts I've ever read./quote]

Unitelligble is not a word, ah irony.

If Im on my back in a guard position, and they are in between my legs, hence guard position, they are liable to get kicked kneed ect. He was asking if it was possible, it is possible. He didnt ask for the likely hood or anything just if it is possible.

True, "Unitelligble" is not a word, but unintelligible is.

unintelligible-

adj 1: poorly articulated or enunciated, or drowned by noise; "unintelligible speech" [ant: intelligible] 2: not clearly understood or expressed [syn: opaque]

Number 2 is the definition that applies to you.

As for the kicking from the guard thing: I'm assuming the other person isn't incompetent. I wasn't saying that it's not POSSIBLE to kick them in the chin from your guard, but it's a seriously low probability move, therefore not PRACTICAL.

right... anyway...

if you have someone in your guard, yes sometimes they can punch you but you still have pretty good control over them, and can keep them from doing much damage at all. plus, from the guard if they strike and youre GOOD you can armbar them or kimura them or sweep them right like that, then were no longer talking about striking from the bottom, but rather the top.

another favorite of mine, which isnt a strike but if theyre striking you might do it... is just a simple wriste lock. relatively easy to get, and easy as all hell to break that bone. hehehehehe.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

From guard, elbow strikes to the head and heel kicks to the kidneys.

From inside guard, punches to the body and head, puls headbutts.

From mount, don't punch. If you punch and his head is on the ground, it's like hitting a bowling ball with teeth. You'll break your hands. Use elbow strikes from mount instead of punches.

Generally speaking, you need to be in a position of control to apply strikes, or they will be ineffective. Even striking when someone in your guard is more or an annoyance than anything - you're not going to knock the guy out unless the guy lifts his head up and you kick him under the chin ala Renzo vs Taktarov or Bustamante vs Trellingham. So don't think that striking - no matter how hard your strikes are standing - will have much effect on the ground without the appropriate grappling skills to get you into a good position first.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

As I've mentioned before, we did a ground-fighting lesson in my AK class. If you're on the bottom in guard, there are striking things you can do. For instance, if you are holding his collar/sleeve, it is very easy to do an eye-poke with your thumbs, hopefully getting them to let go or lose their balance.

We also were learning about using some of our standing techniques, just slightly modified for the ground, since your leverage will be from your shoulders instead of your legs. If you can get his arms bent/broken, you can use a timely knee into his back/rear to force him to roll off of you, enabling you to hopefully get back up again.

With that said, I'm certainly not looking forward to taking on anyone who does grappling daily. :)

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

• 3 weeks later...