Striking On The Ground

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the ground - underneath - you are limited so make it count - don't waste energy and go for the weak areas - ie- eyes or pressure points like the temple or back of the head.

If you are on top it is about keeping your balance and striking quickly and getting back low.

That is my Humble opinion - So I look forward to hearing from people with a little more experience than me in this area! :)

You want to make every strike count, so dont waist time throwing punches that you are not going to be to effective, you tire very quickly on the ground, and striking will really take a lot of energy. I run my students threw mitt work on the ground to help build good technique and power, and it also conditions them for these types of situations. I like to have the striker get in the mount position while the one being mounted is holding the mitts, from here work hard lefts and hard rights, then unload left right left right etc. Once the striker builds good technique with these, the mitt holding can attempt to buck the striker and move around some, remember SAFETY is a major issue here so dont jump into the moving around part to fast.

Next place the striker on his back and have him get the mitt holder in his/her guard, from here work the same, hard lefts, hard rights and the unload. Use the mitt holder to steady your position(with your legs around them), and once the striker is getting good start to move a bit.

These are great drills and you will see how fast they tire you out compared to regular stand up mitt drills. REMEMBER DONT RUSH INTO IT OTHERWISE SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT.

good luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Thanks for the tips, i often do drills similar to this at home but just with my heavy bag, its a bit different than with a partner i realise, but still works well when you dont have a partner.

I do like the way you think!!! :D

On the botton, you can reach the groin and the baldder area but it gets forgotten. A right hand punch into his right bicept can charley horse him up or assit in a roll over.

We do sit ups in the bottom position while we practice various strikes to the face as well as claws, rips and feeding his hands into our teeth for a bite!

from top its easy, but from the bottom all you can do is things like eye gouges or throat chops or something.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Ted T,When a local experienced JJ instructor visited and challenged me I was called every profound name in the book we he had me locked up, except for the hand that grab his nads............

I had fore-warned him, which I did have to, for legal purposes, that I did not spar or fight TKD. His perception was based upon his sole observation of my TKD 4nd Dan certificate. What he did not observe was my other honorable certifications in other arts. He did not fully undersatnd the sign on the school that read "Martial Arts". And the condition of a legal form that he had filled that we make all "walk-in" challengers fill and sign.

He had let go pretty quick but I could of pulled and twisted or "spear thrust" the area so exposed. Being trained aggressive methods, I usually don't spar my students and challengers, I appoint someone else.

My biggest tip- POSITION!!!

If you're on the bottom get your guard, and get the person in tight. He won't be able to strike effectively at all (unless he's a ufc superstar) and you'll be able to pound his ribs into oblivion always, and his head when he leaves that open.

If you're on top, don't waste time trying to strike from his guard, get side control or mount before you really start dishing out the strikes.

Don't forget kicks, especially when going to the ground but before he has a dominant position. I've successfully used a shin to the head as my opponent tried to top mount me. Unfortunately, we were wearing helmet type head gear, so he wasn't hurt and eventually got me. But he said it really rung his bell, and upset his ballance even with good protection. And knee strikes are just short kicks, use them too.

Don't extend your arms, from top or bottom. If he extends his, trap and break if possible.

I'm not a grappler, so if any of you mud rollers want to comment on what I said, I won't be offended. :)

Freedom isn't free!