• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will be going to a karate camp this weekend...

Shorin Ryuu

Well, tomorrow I'm off to a karate camp this weekend down in El Centro, California for a Shorinkan Shorin Ryu camp. It should be interesting, as it is actually the first Shorinkan karate camp I've attended. If I receive anything I think is even remotely interesting (read: expect something simply because I enjoy a good ramble every now and then), I'll be up to posting it when I get back. I'm not sure or not if this one will have a lot of seminars taught by instructors of other styles, like some Shorinkan camps that I've heard of, but either way, it should be a lot of fun. These people coming from Okinawa (9th Dan Hanshi Masaru Yonamine and 8th Dan Kyoshi Giyu Gibo) are pretty darn senior in my system, so it should be a lot of fun. Plus I'll meet some other folks in my system that I've run across in my travels here and there.

The only bad part is, I'm wasting time here instead of writing a mid-term that I have due Monday. Did I say wasting? I meant to say...spending, or something.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tsk tsk,your procrastinating...just like me! high five! haha

Have fun at camp,I would be so psyched to spend days with a bunch of MA's training ruthlessly andeatting food like dogs,hahaha ave fun and bring pictures!

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

Oh man, I hope you have a good time. No, actually, I KNOW you will have a good time. I love Karate camps. I went to a Kyokushin camp this summer in British Columbia and it was SOOO much fun. It was one of the highlights of my summer for sure. It was A LOT of hard work, but on the same token it was a lot of fun and there was still plenty of time for relaxtion... like swimming, and jumping off the big bridge into the water, and marshmellows. Yes, you will have a good time indeed. Tell us all about it when you return. :)

Err...I haven't left yet, but this isn't a karate camp(ing trip). It's just more of an "everyone get together in a huge gymnasium for a weekend and train, train, train...

Haha, maybe we just aren't as "hardcore" as some? All the same, I'm sure I'll still have fun.

I've had enough of the rugged outdoors during basic training, survival school and the like...I still like them, but I won't be missing out on too much.

Well, I got back at 4:30 Monday morning (and then had to finish my midterm...). Suffice it to say, it was an excellent experience. I got to meet people in my style from all over the US, and I think there was around 170 of us. I also got to meet one of the instructors, a kyoshi in my system that was holding some seminars at the camp, that I had trained with a few times in the past. I don't think I've ever met anyone who just exudes as much happiness as he does when he teaches. A real great karateka and great person. The two Okinawans who came over were really good (duh). One of them could speak English pretty well, but the other one could not. During some seminars and stuff, I kept getting called on to do spot translations from time to time, so that was interesting. There was also some time where it was just a question and answer session with the two Okinawan guests about anything, so I went up there and translated for the one who did not speak English. All in all, I'm just glad that I could help in any small way to make them feel more comfortable. Of course, I had to chat with them off to the side for a while, get their meishi (business cards), and that sort of thing. They were both extremely talented, humble, and actually pretty humorous guys. Apart from that, a lot of kata, bunkai and other training from the Okinawans and some of the American kyoshi in our system.

I'm very tired now though...