• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think?

All the traditional forms from the classical systems. They dont really prepare you for fight, but they will give you a very good base for martial arts.

I have to disagree.....I know its off the topic, but the forms of traditional arts contain the secrets of the art, and DO teach you how to fight.

The forms are meant as an imitation of a fight yes. But the forms in its self, arent very realistic. Fighting in the way classic forms are build up, is very unrealistic in a streetfight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I have to humbly disagree.....If you learn the two man forms that accompany the katas, you will see that they are VERY relevant to actual combat. The katas themselves were designed to hide the actual techniques you would fight with, that is true, but learning the applications of kata is the most important thing you can do. From personal experience, I can tell you that my study of the Kaisai, Bunkai, and Oyo of the katas has been very helpful in "real life" application.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I may be wrong but, I dont think we disagree with eachother anyway. What I actually mean is that the forms are allimportant for learning how to fight. Because you learn the movements and how to use them, BUT. Do you think its realistic to use an actual form in a fight?

I guess I misinterpreted your post.....It seems we do agree......you dont fight with the actual movements of the katas, but by learning the applications of the kata, AND how to use them, you will wind up with a long list of techniques to draw upon in "real life" scenarios.

Our dojo is all about the respect. And we practice kata every day. Brown and black belts are doing really long kata. Mine is about 20 seconds.

Our Sensai does a really good job of distinguishing between technique vs. kata vs. self defense vs. sport. Suppose in our first class, we learn backfist. In that week, we will taught how to do and where to look for a backfist in various kata; this is where it applies in self defense; this is how you use it in competition sparring.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

DippeDappe.....This past October marks my 31st anniversary......I started in 1973 with Kyokushin, and the rest is history as they say :-)

DD.....I used to own a dojo. The name of the school was The Bushidokan Dojo of Traditonal Martial Arts. It was in New Rochelle NY.

I had a very viscous divorce about 5 years ago, and wound up having to close the dojo as a result of a very vindictive ex mother in law, who saw to it that I lost EVERYTHING I had to my name....no kids though....fortunately.....I still teach privately now, and have hopes of opening another dojo someday.