• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think?

I have a question for all you martial arts lovers out there! What do you think about the traditions of martial arts? What traditions have you come across that you think are essential to your trainning and your competeing as well as how it effects you in your everyday life? I'm curious about what other people have experienced!

My name is Lydia and I am a Sr. Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I have also done many other types of martial arts. I enjoy trying new things. I like just grabbing a book and learning from it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the paradox of training relentlessly to achieve a perfection that can never be attained.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

All the traditional forms from the classical systems. They dont really prepare you for fight, but they will give you a very good base for martial arts.

In my school we dont really have any tradition of that sort. We do bow before we enter or leave the room we train in. The way we greet our opponent, you know with the hands and all that. When the training ends we clap to show our graditude for the training. But thats it.

KSW strongly promotes the tradition of etiquette - the giving of proper respect to each and every person in and outside of class.

That's probably one of the hardest things to do 100% of the time. :P

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I enjoy the discipline. I think there is a lack of it within our schools, and our homes, and if I can help these kids learn it, perhaps some of that may help in their private lives as well.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

In my dojang, they are very strong with discipline and respect. Just like Foreveryoung said, I think it helps with the kids (and some adults for that matter). They are getting very picky on technique, too. Not that they weren't before, but more so now.

Laurie F

discipline, respect, courtesy, honor,virtue

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

All the traditional forms from the classical systems. They dont really prepare you for fight, but they will give you a very good base for martial arts.

I have to disagree.....I know its off the topic, but the forms of traditional arts contain the secrets of the art, and DO teach you how to fight.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"