• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA culture shock

Has this happend to you? After giving up TKD after three years of practice, I have know studied wing chun for about a month(I have a VERY long way to go). The styles are so different that it is kind of hard to break some old habits(esp. on blocking). Did you guys ever have any trouble when you switched MA? :-?

1-up!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been critiqued every class so far regarding my back foot in my forward fighting stance in goju ryu. It should be facing forward. I used to fence and it used to point to the side 90 degrees. As I get tired, my foot drifts out 15 degrees... 30 degrees... 45 degrees... all the way to 90 degrees.

Also, when sparring, as I get tired my reverse arm moves further and further back. (In fencing, it is illegal to block target area with your non-weapon hand. That's why they keep it behind their body, above their head. In sparring, blocking target area is the whole point of why you keep your arms up. So when I unconsciously expose target area, you can see the dilemma.)

I have to rewrite old muscle memory with new muscle memory. I'm convinced that it will happen, but it will take some time and lot's of practice!

Of course, I'm sure being able to throw a roundhouse to the head while holding a 3ft stick in your primary hand would hold some pretty high value. Karate+Escrime?

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Of course, I'm sure being able to throw a roundhouse to the head while holding a 3ft stick in your primary hand would hold some pretty high value. Karate+Escrime?

that is funny. but on a serious note shifting your weight to your back foot is not a bad thing. but do try to always do askyour sensei asks.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Has this happend to you? After giving up TKD after three years of practice, I have know studied wing chun for about a month(I have a VERY long way to go). The styles are so different that it is kind of hard to break some old habits(esp. on blocking). Did you guys ever have any trouble when you switched MA? :-?

!!!!! i kno the exact feeling!!!

I recently left my tkd dojang(later got yelled at my grandmaster for leaving,goes to my church-.-) and took up the style of no style.Its totally different from tkd...so i decided to forget all about tkd and just start all over again.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

When I went from TSD to TKD, I didn't have much problems. Blocking is executed a bit different, but ends the same. TSD stances are deeper (I still have a habbit of using dreeper stances), and the "c" step in TSD carried over to TKD (which I'm not supposed to do, but it's still kinda habbit). I had more problems in sparring. Totally different rules (for the most part). It took some getting used to.

Laurie F

If you think going from one ma to another is tough try going from ma to snowboarding. I tried it the other day. In a fighting stance I always keep my front foot really light. If you do that on a snow board(and I just couldn't break the habit) you end up rocketing down the hill at a million miles an hour and you can't turn. I got more bruises in a day than I have in a year in the dojang.