Older martial artists

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where the question, per other thread "Does one have to be fit to teach or practice MA? Does this really matter in the same relation given the ages of people posted in this thread about age?

This is exactly what has been on my mind this past week...

Can you convince your students that you are sincere about what you are teaching them when you can't pass the same physical test you require them to? Age or disability considered or not considered? Hmm....where is that original thread anyway?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

This is exactly what has been on my mind this past week...

Can you convince your students that you are sincere about what you are teaching them when you can't pass the same physical test you require them to? Age or disability considered or not considered? Hmm....where is that original thread anyway?

8)

A instructor doesn't have to be as fast or as strong as the student. He only has to know the way you do the techniques, strategy and so on. Look at all the sport coaches. They can't dribble the ball or shoot it as good as his players, but still I don't see any 25 year old NBA coaches.

Of course this is only true when your instructor is old and physically limited. If my instructor was 30 and overweight (by this I don't mean couple of kilos extra, I mean FAT)/weak I wouldn't take him seriously.

- Musse

"Be careful: The toes you step on today may be connected to the * you'll be kissing tomorrow"

Hmm....where is that original thread anyway?

Yeah-where?

A instructor doesn't have to be as fast or as strong as the student. He only has to know the way you do the techniques, strategy and so on. Look at all the sport coaches. They can't dribble the ball or shoot it as good as his players, but still I don't see any 25 year old NBA coaches.

But unlike a martial art instructor/master-whom has a few "techniques" and skill "up the sleeve" that can put their student in "place".

Of course this is only true when your instructor is old and physically limited. If my instructor was 30 and overweight (by this I don't mean couple of kilos extra, I mean FAT)/weak I wouldn't take him seriously.

Well I had mentioned this on another thread.

Physical fitness/age, of a teacher/instructor.

But is old and physically limited in relation to overwieght?

being fit isn't a requirement of being able to fight. I know alot of out of shape looking guys that would rip a hole in everyone on this forum. What matters in a teacher is experience. People get old - you will too. If they can't beat me at their age, that's fine, as long as they do still have good experience and plenty to teach me. That's what matters. I'm willing to bet any any pro boxer on the planet can out box their coach - they are younger, faster, currently compete, etc. BUT, it's the experience these coaches have that make them an asset.

being fit isn't a requirement of being able to fight. I know alot of out of shape looking guys that would rip a hole in everyone on this forum. What matters in a teacher is experience. People get old - you will too. If they can't beat me at their age, that's fine, as long as they do still have good experience and plenty to teach me. That's what matters. I'm willing to bet any any pro boxer on the planet can out box their coach - they are younger, faster, currently compete, etc. BUT, it's the experience these coaches have that make them an asset.

That is my same point. Per this thread also:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15818

Being fit should not be a requirement to teach. Anything can be "taught"

The oldest guy where I train is 47. He can't learn a damn thing. He's been training at least 3 months and he can't do a centre-line punch or a circle step.

You can't blame Sifu either, he helps him a great deal and everyone else has learnt just fine. I taught my sister to do it better than he can in about 15 minutes.

I'm sure this is not indicative of all older people going into MA though, it's probably just him.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

The oldest guy where I train is 47. He can't learn a damn thing. He's been training at least 3 months and he can't do a centre-line punch or a circle step.

It is always not about age. Some people have a hard time to grasp something. I have a few "younger" people that are the same way.

You can't blame Sifu either, he helps him a great deal and everyone else has learnt just fine. I taught my sister to do it better than he can in about 15 minutes.

Yeah-I know some that can learn faster than others

I'm sure this is not indicative of all older people going into MA though, it's probably just him.

Ditto from my first note. I hope that the teacher continues to have patience with him.