• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is Hapkido?

I don't know, every hapkido school I have been to does kicks. Also if you look in most hapkido textbooks they also teach kicks. The variety of the kicks changes according to the style of Hapkido but I'm pretty sure they all have it. And these are not TKD+HKD schools...these are HKD schools only that's all they teach. Also as to the origin of the art yes Aikido and Hapkido both come from Daito Ryu Aiki Jutsu however, the aiki jutsu does have strikes whereas most forms of Aikido have gotten rid of them. And it is not surprising given that hapkido is a korean art that they would incorporate kicks.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in this I can only speak of the Sin Moo HKD that I did but they had wall jumping kicks...double flying side kicks...and multiple kicks while airborne.

Long Live the Fighters!

So, tuf, are you taking Hapkido for the first time just recently, or have you taken it before?

The reason I ask, is because your previous post asking if 'falling' in Hapkido (without mats!) should be a concern for you made me think you had not ever taken it before.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I have taken it before which was why I was concerned about falling on a hard surface! :) I had alot of trouble with the falling. The hapkido school I went to had a thin mat over cement. But on the forward shoulder rolls I would constantly twist my shoulder and hit my hip and back hard. Also when they were teaching us the side fall they started with the sweep where they grab the lapel and sleeve of your uniform tilt you onto one leg and then sweep the other leg out from under you. I fell wrong and smacked the back of my head into the ground. Even with the mat it was very painful and i was stunned for several minutes. Also I am overweight 290 6'2" so when I fall I fall hard and don't necessarily have the musculature to twist myself around midair to get into a more advantageous position. That's why I eventually ended up quitting. But I loved the art itself and am still looking around for someplace near myself that teaches it...perhaps with some instructors with more experience with people of different body styles. Both of my instructors at this one school, while very good, were both like 5'11" and 150 lbs and had only worked out with each other for the most part.

Long Live the Fighters!

I have taken it before which was why I was concerned about falling on a hard surface! :) I had alot of trouble with the falling. The hapkido school I went to had a thin mat over cement. But on the forward shoulder rolls I would constantly twist my shoulder and hit my hip and back hard. Also when they were teaching us the side fall they started with the sweep where they grab the lapel and sleeve of your uniform tilt you onto one leg and then sweep the other leg out from under you. I fell wrong and smacked the back of my head into the ground. Even with the mat it was very painful and i was stunned for several minutes. Also I am overweight 290 6'2" so when I fall I fall hard and don't necessarily have the musculature to twist myself around midair to get into a more advantageous position. That's why I eventually ended up quitting. But I loved the art itself and am still looking around for someplace near myself that teaches it...perhaps with some instructors with more experience with people of different body styles. Both of my instructors at this one school, while very good, were both like 5'11" and 150 lbs and had only worked out with each other for the most part.

Hello tufrthanu,

I assume you were at the Hapkido school in St. Paul off St. Clair ? I was thinking of checking it out. I saw on their website they were only showing day classes, is that correct ? How much do they charge ? If you wouldn't mind.

And yes, I'm from Mn. Too :)

I am not speaking in terms on not striking. I am not speaking in terms of many not kicking. I am speaking in terms of high and fanciful kicks.

It sounds like the HKD that you studied was close to Choi Young-sool's HKD or rather Yawara than Ji Han-jae's Sin Moo HKD. When speaking in terms of HKD there is a bit of a dividing factor. Choi Young-sool studied Daito-ryu Aikijitsu under Sokaku Takeda. (Note: There is much controversy about rather he did study under Takeda, but that is a debate for another time :brow: ) Anyway, this art did not have many kicks in the curriculum outside of sweeps and low leg kicks. It was Ji Han-jae who introduced more kicking into the curriculum. So for those who do practice spin kicks and upper body kicks are most likely ones whose roots go back to Ji Han-jae's Sin Moo. Those, like yourself, who never really had those kicks in their HKD curriculum are most likely practicing Choi's Yawara system. Just a little foot note to keep people more confused than before. :)

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

"....who never really had those kicks in their HKD curriculum are most likely practicing Choi's Yawara system. Just a little foot note to keep people more confused than before."

Yes we are talking about the early 70's, when I was living in baton Rougem Louisiana. I had studied Hapkido under He Young Kimm

I have read somewhere, and I can't place it-that a ancestor/grand relative of the Takeds Family/Ryu had actually srudied martial arts in other Asian countries-per China. Thus :bringing back: Ju Jitsu fundamentals.

"....who never really had those kicks in their HKD curriculum are most likely practicing Choi's Yawara system. Just a little foot note to keep people more confused than before."

Yes we are talking about the early 70's, when I was living in baton Rougem Louisiana. I had studied Hapkido under He Young Kimm

I have read somewhere, and I can't place it-that a ancestor/grand relative of the Takeds Family/Ryu had actually srudied martial arts in other Asian countries-per China. Thus :bringing back: Ju Jitsu fundamentals.

If I remember correctly, the Takeda clan did have their family system, but Sokaku also studied under other masters in the arts of kenjitsu as well as other jujitsu systems. I don't however, recall the actual styles and teachers off the top of my head. The Daito-ryu Aikijitsu was Takeda's hybrid art that he taught.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh