• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is Hapkido?

With this being my 100th post I decided to ask a question that I forgot to ask for a while now - What is Hapkido? I don't know much about it other than it is a Korean art - and I'm not that sure it is Korean! :lol:

So any answers would be appreciated - I'm not too worried about who founded it etc - but what it involves and is it a mix of TKD and Grappling or something!

But like I say - any info will be welcome!

Cheers in advance guys!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a korean art consisting primarily of very painful joint locking techniques, and incorporates throws, grappling etcetera. There are also strikes and kicks, butthese are not the primary focus of the art

Depending on how it is practiced, from what I've seen, it may or may not include forms and weapons training as well.

It is composed promarily of defensive rather than offensive techniques, but the defensive techniques used are often quite painful, and can do someone serious harm...

You can probably learn a lot more about it by simply typig hapkido into google.

Mt experience stems primarily from the hapkido I have learned that is integrated into our Tang Soo Do curriculum, although I have worked with some

Hapkido stylists in the past, and I have worked with several TSD masters that also have certified ranks in hapkido.

Think of Hapkido as a cross between Aikido (Steve Seagal's style) and Tae Kwon Do.

I train in both TKD and Hapkido and see Hapkido as a more practical self defense system. As TangSooGuy mentioned, it is a defensive method. There are no attacks that I know of in Hapkido. I also do not know of any forms (katas, poomse, etc) in Hapkido.

We learn blocks, joint locks, pressure points, punches, jabs, stabs, kicks and sweeps, throws, and take downs. Our grand master has put together combinations that we are required to demostraite at each belt test.

We have 7 different combinations for each belt rank. They incorporate defenses against an unarmed attack as well as attacks with knives, guns, short or long sticks, and nunchuku. We defend either unarmed or with short or long stick, nunchuku, walking cane, fan, sai, and even our belt.

Hope this helps. Ask if more info needed.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Well I did sin moo hapkido for a short while and all I can say is if you think hapkido is purely defensive you haven't been doing it right. It's one of the more combative complete arts I've come across. While it does do alot of thing such as how to get out of a bear hug or a wrist escape...alot of teachers will teach the techniques seperately so that you can do them offensively...like walking up to a loudmouth and kicking him in the knee and then putting him into a wrist lock. But this might just be the style that was taught to me.

Long Live the Fighters!

Hapkido was founded by Yong Shui Choi aroun 1919 whom had studied the famous Daito-ryu Aiki-jutsu, which is the very same art that Morihei Ueshiba (founder of Aikido) and Jigoro Kano (founder of Judo) had studied. Interesting that all had the one link to the same art that incorporates the same methods and techniques, or the basis of.

What is the main focus of Hapkido, is it's kicks or is it's joint locks?

I know that Hapkido is a very complete style, my Hapkido friend is able to do everything but till now I am not sure of his focus and he told me his teacher teaches him everything from punches, kicks to joint locks, so just what is the main focus of Hapkido?

Edited by dingyuan

Yes. LOL. As far as I have been able to determine it is equal parts kicks, punches, locks, pressure points and throws.

Long Live the Fighters!

Think of Hapkido as a cross between Aikido (Steve Seagal's style) and Tae Kwon Do.

This is a good description. But the Hapkido that I had studied, did not have kicks, except for low sweeps. If it has kicks, it is at a school that incorporates/teaches TKD or TSD, etc., with it. If it is a Hapkido school as the only art, you will not see kicking.