• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

American Kenpo techniques - lost?

TheDevilAside

TDA, just noticed the yellow stripe. Congrats!

But, does this mean that I have to behave now?

Thank you :) And yes, it does... I'll be keeping an eye on you :o (Okay.. that smiley face is supposed to convey more of an intimidating glare... but uh... yeah, be afraid :))

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I noticed Tracy Kenpo had some techniques with those names (like Circling Serpent, I think) but the techniques itself were completely different.

So, going off on a tangent here, what do you guys think of simplifying and breaking down more complex techniques to its basic movements and adding them to an introductory belt level? Good or bad? Btw. Just because my school does it this way, don't worry about me taking any criticism personally :)

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing, but why would you need to add it to an introductory level, unless there isn't many techniques to begin with at that level.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

There's around 10 techniques for yellow belt, which is where a lot of AK school start out at.

I remember my instructors saying that they added the "introductory belt" because some people were too challenged with the yellow belt techniqes and they became frusturated and just quit. You know, some people just want to see a sign of achievement quickly, and they couldn't stand being the same belt for 3-6 months.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I remember my instructors saying that they added the "introductory belt" because some people were too challenged with the yellow belt techniqes and they became frusturated and just quit. You know, some people just want to see a sign of achievement quickly,

:-? The yellow belt curriculum was originally added for kidds!

Maaaaan- if you didn't outrank me, I'd make some rude comment about Coloradans! :D

OK, OK- just foolin' wit' ya! 8)

Actually, some schools do a begginers class or curriculum so that people can see if they want to get into martial arts. They usually aren't required to buy any uniforms or equipment until they earn their white belt. Gets some people to sign up that otherwise are hesitant. I think it's a good idea, as long as the test is not expensive (free is best, but business is business... :karate: ).

Freedom isn't free!

Hes right, parker started with clutching feathers, and taught the full extensions from the beginning. Yellow belt stuff was for the kids to begin with :) either way, its still good stuff. Teaching a kid throat chops is too hardcore in my opinion, they could kill some 5th grader over a spot in the lunchline :)

I remember my instructors saying that they added the "introductory belt" because some people were too challenged with the yellow belt techniqes and they became frusturated and just quit. You know, some people just want to see a sign of achievement quickly,

:-? The yellow belt curriculum was originally added for kidds!

Maaaaan- if you didn't outrank me, I'd make some rude comment about Coloradans! :D

OK, OK- just foolin' wit' ya! 8)

Actually, some schools do a begginers class or curriculum so that people can see if they want to get into martial arts. They usually aren't required to buy any uniforms or equipment until they earn their white belt. Gets some people to sign up that otherwise are hesitant. I think it's a good idea, as long as the test is not expensive (free is best, but business is business... :karate: ).

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

• 4 months later...
For a moment there, i was thinking it was a mixture of American and Tracy Kenpo systems :brow: :)

Some of us live that dream!!! :nod:

Thus all things return to their root, and because there is no separation between them and their source; their return goes unrecognized.

-Lao Tzu

Kenpo Training may not be a Lifetime Journey, but it's Definitely the Journey of a Lifetime!!

Ah those elaborate names for techniques. I wonder where it is they came from.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I've never heard of any of those techniques...of course, while I was testing for black in Chico, they had a few yellows I didn't recognize, either. I guess there's just a bit of confusion as to what's what on the early belts - everything else seems to be pretty much the same.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

- Sword in Return

- Parting the Sea

- Kick in Return

- Circling Serpent

- Passing the Horizon

We have Passing The Horizon in our System ACKKS as an Orange Belt Technique.

Is this similar to yours??

Attack: Arm lock from behind (right side)

Start of Ideal Phase

Step back left foot,

drive left elbow into face,

counter grab right hand,

spin out CW while applying a wrist lock, (forcing attacker to bend forward)

left kick to chest,

left elbow to spine or straight arm into shoulder joint

End of Ideal Phase

We create our own extensions. :wink:

Kenpo Training may not be a Lifetime Journey, but it's Definitely the Journey of a Lifetime!!

Our first 10 are:

Delayed Sword

Alternating Mace

Sword of Destruction

Deflecting Hammer

Captured Twigs

The Grasp

Checking the Storm

Mace of Aggression

Attacking Mace

Sword and Hammer

Look familiar to anybody?

btw, ya'll should check in on the two Kenpo threads we have going...we're trying to get an idea of everybody who has a semblence of knowledge on what we're doing.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker