• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you do martial arts?

well for me I started when I was 5 years old. My mother wanted to make sure I was activly involved in something so I had the choice of ballet or martail arts. So I thought I would try Shotokan Karate! Wow. I love it. I am still involved and this is my 13th year. So I originally started because my mom. but now I do it because I love the feeling I get when I train. I feel so good about my self, and it has become a passion that I'm almost addicted to now. I love it and I know that it will be apart of me for the rest of my life!!!!

My name is Lydia and I am a Sr. Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I have also done many other types of martial arts. I enjoy trying new things. I like just grabbing a book and learning from it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just keeps getting more fun! I really enjoy getting together with others who share this passion, its a feeling of teamwork. And ofcourse knowing that you are bettering yourself in many ways is awsome, selfdefense, confidence, attitude, health etc.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

i feel that ma runs threw my veins. i have been doing ma since a very young age and plan to keep doing so until i no longer can. i always tell students that i can not understand why all people do not take some form of ma. i think of it much lioke religion, a person spends his life studying it just to get a little closer to the truth.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

why do I do MAs?

1. ive always admired MAs and MAists

2. confidence

3. selfdefense

4. social activities

5. its about time i do something else than basketball

6. its about time i get my flexibility back

7. fitness

8. focus, discipline & structure

9. i wonder how it wil change me by the point i reach bbelt and i "really" start the journey.

10. cuz i want to kick your ass if you piss me off. :kaioken:

j/k :D

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

I am going to be honest with all of you, I choose to learn martial art due to the influence of pop culture mainly video games and Kung Fu movies.

The video game that has the most impact on me is "Vitura Fighters" and the character that influence me greatly is Akria Yuki. When I first played that game I was totally overwhelmed by Akria's strong and straight forward fighting styles, those of you who had played Vitura Fighter will know that Akria doesn't have the most beautiful moves but his moves sure is effective. I started to look into his form of martial art and found out that it a Chinese martial art known as "Baji Quan". Then I searched all over google, looking for a Baji Quan school around my area and then I found it and that's how I started my martial art trainings.

That's what I am really focus on, the dashing elbow and rising elbow smashs, Baji Quan is all about knockdowns and I love doing knockdowns with those elbow strikes....Akira style :lol:

The interesting thing is why does anyone do if for over 30 years!

I guess the appreciation for it is that one has to truely enjoy it. Like food, wine, cars, etc. But, as with anything, a lifestyle can change, thus changing interests, of those become lost.

When i was younger i took karate because i wanted to become a power ranger and be one of the karate kids in the movies. Now i take wing chun because i luv the martial arts and i like weapons too. I like the power as well and want to be the best i can be. Competition is also y i went into martial arts because my friend is in goju ryu.