• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defense against a push

solitas

You're right. I was forgetting the height of the hypothetical push. In this case, would an inward parry be a good alternative? Get his attack off to the side without throwing his arms out?

A hard parry as you move off the line of attack would work if the push did not make contact. But, remember that this technique is for one that makes HARD contact while he has a lot of forward momentum. Parrying under these circumstances gives your directional harmony to him. You are moving back forcfully, and so is your defense.

Remember too that AK works off reactions- not just his, but yours as well! What is your reaction when suddenly forced backwards by a blow to your chest? You will automatically step back and simultaneously throw your arms out in front to counter-ballance yoursel! What this technique drills is to control and take advantage of those reactions.

Now, we learn these terms so that we can converse with others about what the technique does, how it works, and what it teaches. We have a good mental understanding of what is involved. BUT, you will never really understand any of this until you've been hit several times hard enough that your backside hits the floor! You have to feel these reactions, feel how to control them, and feel the variables and learn to deal with them. Otherwise, you'll have no real idea what is being taught. My brother and me once spent the better part of two weeks just pushing each other and reworking this technique. We were so sore in the mornings that we could hardly move (back then, neither ofus had a single piece of protective equipment). But that is what it takes. You play with ranges, timeing, force, momentum, what if's and any other variables that may occur.

...a strike to the solar plexus will be more likely to cause him to hunch over and close up; while a strike to the sternum [harder target] will cause him to stand and open up. ... if you miss the target, I guess that depends on where [and if] you hit.

A strike to the solar plexus while you are directly in front of him, no check in place, and with his momentum marginally checked will likely have you eating an unintentional head butt. If he did not have a lot of momentum and you moved slightly off to the right (not far enough to compromis structure when you punch), and you go to more of a close kneel; you can avoid the head butt and perfectly position him for a right inward elbow to his mandible. Simulate your reaction to a solar plexus shot, and pay close attention to what happens to your jaw, and immagine an elbow strike while in this posture. :o

A strike to the sternum will stand him up, but it will also cave his chest and shoulders, altering his width. That reaction is part of why this technique works so well. It also checks his momentum/deapth. And his head comes forward into good range for the back knuckle.

You are correct about his reaction depending on how you missed a target with a strike. But, you need to miss a few to learn to deal with this.

As for the rest of the technique, you'll get a feel for it as you practice it more. And don't rush the learning process to get to the slamming part of understanding. Remember, we learn these techniques in three distinct stages. Get it down in the Ideal Phase, then work up to the Formulation Phase gradually, which is where this occurs.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tai Ji Quan's pushing hands has the answer. Like someone already said, step aside sweap his hands away with your hands ( similar to mawashi uke in karate ) and while doing that turn the wrists around and then you push him. That way you don't have to punch him.

Actually, this is one good application of Lifting Water (the opening of the Yang 108 form), followed by any number of moves for the 'push'.

Freedom isn't free!

Hi Double T,

yes I agree - I'd probably take the first push, or even (maybe) the second, but as he came forward for more I just know I'd kick him in the groin or bladder. But that's just me and no one expects an old fart with long hair to snap a kick out, :lol: Course, no one picks on me anymore, either, just to old, :cry:

And why "unfortunately" from Texas? One of the toughest fighters I know is a Kenpo guy from Texas!

And why "unfortunately" from Texas? One of the toughest fighters I know is a Kenpo guy from Texas!

Because I spent 8 years in Nothern California, and I LOVED it. I miss all the things I was able to do there that just aren't available here in the DFW area. Things like 30min drive to the beach/boardwalk, 20min drive to hiking in Redwood forests, 3 hr drive to ski in Tahoe or gamble in Reno...

There's also nowhere good to ride my motorcycle. Nothing beats coming out of a long set of twisties and seeing the ocean spread out before you; then stopping at a beach-side grill for lunch etc...

Now I'm selling my bike because there's no where good to ride it, and the dumbf*ck drivers here are as likely to kill me as not. It's really rather depressing.

And since I know someone's gonna ask, the reason I moved back to Texas is complicated. It was partially to do with being able to afford a house, and having a good school system to put our kid through [kid is still on the way :) ]

At this point the only thing making it bearable is Kenpo, and the fact that I'm here with my wonderful wife...

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

Well, I live just north of Cali. on Vancouver Is. so I know exactly what you mean!!!

but I like to visit Colorado (a martial arts mecca and we have land in South Park, yup, the inspiration for the cartoon) and want to get to Texas and visit my buddies.

Here's another point about Alternating Maces. Some Kenpoists do not agree with working this for different pushes (shoulder/high chest or lower rib cage). They correctly point out that there are other techniques designed to deal with those pushes, that work off your natural reactions to those pushes. I believe it is important, because when you get to those techniques you'll have a reference as to why those techniques work better. It also gets you thinking more about modifying techniques to work in different situations other than the ideal.

Example: when a hard push connects to your lower rbs, your reaction is not only to cave, but to buckle over. Your arms will go out front, but because of this different posture your elbows will tend to fly out. Hooking Wings teaches you to control this reaction (or more desireable, to intercept him before the strike lands) and at the same time you regain control of your centre, you take control of his. I think you'll get a better feel for this if you've tried making Alternating Maces work for a low push.

I won't go into a lot of detail here. My recomendation is to talk to your instructor and see what his philosophy is about this. Just thought I'd throw anoter idea out.

Freedom isn't free!

Well, I live just north of Cali. on Vancouver Is. so I know exactly what you mean!!!

but I like to visit Colorado (a martial arts mecca and we have land in South Park, yup, the inspiration for the cartoon) and want to get to Texas and visit my buddies.

Where in Colorado? Apart from a most excellent instructor I met in my system outside of Denver, there was also a RyuKyu Kenpo instructor in Colorado Springs I trained with once (he came to do a kata and bunkai seminar for the 'nontraditional' karate club, but we in the traditional karate club were invited as well). I forget his name, but he really knew his stuff. Very traditional and lots of pressure point grappling.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of suggestions, but it really does depend on the specifics of the situation.

1) The attacker is thrusting his arms toward you. Side step (we'll say to the left) and grab the attacker's right wrist with your right hand. Put your left hand just above the attacker's elbow, flip his arm over and push down on that elbow and tendon area. With your right hand, you can twist his hand so his palm faces his shoulder. Push down with left hand on elbow, up with right hand on wrist. From here you can do a number of things, a pushing leg sweep (jujitsu), strikes to the face with your left hand or knees, or continue pushing him until he is on the ground on his stomach. Then you can put your knee on his arm where your left hand is and control him. His left arm won't be able to reach you to do anything, but watch for flailing legs. It won't hurt him very much, but you will have control, and possibly talk him out of pushing you anymore.

2) Block and palmheel to the face, knee to groin.

3) Slam your forearms into his elbow-pit (the inside of his elbows) when his arms are extended. This locks him up close to you, allowing you to throw knees and elbows galore.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

Work out the anticipation. Your legs are most likely longer than the opponent's arms, so a front kick in the solar plexus or the groin should do it while he initiated the push. I practice that a lot in Shotokan classes, works pretty well. But anticipation is the key to a successful and quick ending of a fight. I've seen posts around here about one shot/one kill... that's a pretty good example.