• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defense against a push

solitas

I am curious what would be the best defense against a "push". By this I mean the jerk who for whatever reason wants to get in your face, and without actually punching you, he does the two hand push, perhaps to your upper chest.

Example :

He pushes you

you step back, "I don't want to fight..."

He steps forward, pushes again..

You step back, "I don't want to fight"...

You are now close to having your back against the wall.

Assuming you can't get away (a big assumption I agree), and it looks like you need to do something against the third push you are quite likely to get.

Yes I understand and agree that a fast exit is the best alternative, and the one I would pursue. My question though is more along the lines of a move to deflect the push, perhaps (?) without striking him, that might make him reconsider doing a fourth push.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in AK the 2nd technique we learn [Alternating Maces] is against a two-hand push, although it is focused on a lower [belly level] push, there's no reason it wouldn't work against a higher push.

It does involve striking the opponent though.

Without getting into the details of stance etc, I'll give you a quick rundown of the technique:

Assuming you are in a neutral position [legs a little apart, facing opponent, possibly with your hands up in a "hey I don't wanna fight you" pose]

As the push comes in, you step back with the left foot while doing an inward block with the right hand [possibly with a bit of downward push]. This will leave him probably off balance with his hands together pointing to his right and down..

Immediately [and I mean immediately. It is almost done at the same time as the inward block] do a left vertical punch with the left hand into the attacker's chest/solar plexus. This is done to stop the attacker's foward mostion [and where a good solid forward bow comes into play for your stability].

You then use your left hand to check the attacker's hands, keeping them down and to the left, while rotating counter-clockwise and doing a back-knuckle strike to the attackers temple.

Then cover out and get the hell away :) [always the last step in Kenpo when possible. hehe]

Of course, if you REALLY don't want to "strike" the attacker, you could just do the step-back/block, and then instead of doing a vertical punch, just slam your open hand out to his chest to stop his motion. and then check his hand down without the back-knuckle strike.

Then use the opportunity to get out/get away from the wall if you're at that point.

I'm sure there are other techniques to deal with a two-hand push, but I'm only a Yellow belt so I haven't learned them yet.

Hope that's useful to you... I am interested in hearing other possibilities espcially ones that don't involve striking.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

this is what my sensei says he has done before and stopped a fight

make a fist with let's say left hand ,support it with the palm of right hand and push it to the center line of the chest of attacker above solar plexus while he is coming for another push, this is a push not a strike using Seikens, it's painful and disturbs the breathing.

Here is two pretty basic but good technique tricks for a double hand push.

As the attacker pushes, side step with Left leg to attackers ® side, at the same time as the side step you basically perform to open hand inside blocks, by doing this you are trying to cross the attackers arms (trapping), from here depending on your distance you can use your right hand to come up behind the attackers neck and pull them into a right knee, or you can simply blade kick the attackers closest knee.

Next one is as the push comes in you step back with either leg, while hitting your attackers arms (elbow area) up, slap them up with the palms of your hands (hoping to jar the elbow a bit) then with whatever leg you steped back with deliver a forward kick, if not able to perform the kick then side step forward and deliver a groin strike, with opposite hand that you side steped with.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Here is my suggestion, simple and easy.

He goes for the two-handed push

You step off the the side you desire (left or right) not straight back

You then take the opposite hand of the side you stepped off to

He stumbles forward

You smack him in the back of the head lightly making him fall

You run to the nearest exit

Fight over

Hope you like it.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

A few ways.

A) Twist your torso from the hips so that they push through you and end up going past you. Use the twist from the hips to continue round with a strike to the back of their head.

b)Trap their hands and then twist the torso from the hips as before. Use their hands as your play thing - go to town! If someone is stupid enough to gift you a limb then use it.

c) Use a slapping motion in a down and out. Practice this so that you can push their hands far and wide without spreading your own guard. The best way to do this is make is a fast and hard strike rather than a pushy style strike. You've spread their guard so strike to the head and/or face - their forward motion makes it so much more effective.

d) Pivot around one foot, parry their hands and using a monkey grip pull them in the direction of their punch and down.... They fall so hard to the floor that their kneecaps try to end halfway up their thighs. (This could be bunkai from the first move in heian yondan - especially if you pull down and are then quick enough to raise your hands back up into their face/throat/neck as they are falling downwards)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

The best thing to do is not to stand "double-weighted". I usually have most my weight on one leg or the other, which allows for rapid movement and quick circling around my center. In this example, someone pushes me with both hands on the chest, which causes my body, which does not resist his push, to merely swivel on axis and do X technique. I say X because there is an infinite amount of things to do. If he pushes you with any sort of force, not resisting the push and letting his energy flow uninterrupted will seriously put him off balance.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

1. Never let him get close enough to push you. Step to the side or some similar action.

2. In order for someone to push you, they must move the arms in a relaxed state prior to tensing and pushing with the arms and body.

3. When they go to push you, meaning that they'll have to cover a little distance to get to you, you will simply catch their arms in a relaxed state and sweep them to one side or the other of you. Anotherwise, deflecting their arm motion/direction just out side of your body as they start the pushing motion. Their force and momentum will do the rest.

4. After two or three times of them being unsuccessful, they will think twice and typically stop without a confrontation. If they do try to confront you, you already have the advantage of them being off-balance to do pretty much whatever you want to do with the - in case it gets nasty. But usually it does not escalate to this level.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/