• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional or Sportive karate

Sridhar

At our dojo, nightly classes cover technique, forms, and self defense. If you would like to spar, there are optional classes that meet on Friday and Saturday, and I have yet to see Sensai attend one of these classes. It's run by the other brown and black belts. Your belt progression is based on your knowledge, technique, and kata, never your sparring ability.

Why is that?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At our dojo, nightly classes cover technique, forms, and self defense. If you would like to spar, there are optional classes that meet on Friday and Saturday, and I have yet to see Sensai attend one of these classes. It's run by the other brown and black belts. Your belt progression is based on your knowledge, technique, and kata, never your sparring ability.

in my personal opinion, I really dislike this system. Why? Because i believe this is the reason u see so many black belts who can't do *. For example, i'll go to some dojo's and see 15 years old black belts who i could rock the * out of without even using any martial arts. I have a very strong personal hate towards this and i dont think its the way karate should be practiced. But to each his own.

I actually attended my first class of Kyokushin the other day and it really impressed me. The class was an hour and a half long and looked like this. Stretching for about 15-20 min, then kihon for about half and hour (not sure if kicking the pads is kihon but im guessing it is, and then full contact sparring for about half and hour, then puhsups and stuff for the last 10 or so minutes, it was a VERY intense class.

This was only one class, but im fairly sure its different each day, or at least two-three variations, because we did not practice katas the other day and we obviously do that.

from wat i saw, i'm not so sure about any face attacks not being allowed. But according to the official rules, punches to the face are not allowed kicks are. Attacks to the groin are also not allowed, other than that its all good.

I'm not really sure what to say, other than "I take traditional karate." This means I don't train in anything that won't help me in a fight. My style is very heavy in striking and close in-fighting, to include grappling. I'm obviously biased, but I think it is the real deal (not casting aspersions about other styles, but I'm just saying this stuff will help you in a street fight).

Couldn't have said it better myself!

The Hammer