• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some results on the AKA Grand Nationals/WSKF World Finals

miguksaram

This was one of the most anticipated events in sport martial arts this year, where the old collides with the new. The American Karate Association’s Grand Nationals, the oldest sport karate tournament in America, and the World Sport Karate Federation’s World Finals, the newest circuit today, collided together in Chicago, Illinois for one of the most spectacular array of sport martial arts competition.

Hosted by promoter John Sharkey, one of the most well known and well respected, promoters in the sport today, and held at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare, this two-day event saw some of the top competitors from all over North America and Europe. Great teams such Twism, Pro Rank, Straight Up, J. Phillips, Paul Mitchell, K.I.C.K. Team, EKS, Sidekick, Revolution, IDC, AKA, Golden State, Midwest Force, NWK, Five Knuckle Bullet, TAC, Victory, Sun City and many more punched, kicked and tricked their way for world titles as well as the covenant Warrior’s Cup, one of the most prestigious awards given out in sport karate to date.

Kicking it off for Friday

Friday night was set for continuous and team sparring as well as the weapons competition for extreme, creative and traditional weapons. Many weapons from Chinese broadsword to the bo to the popular katana were displayed in top fashion. Some of the highlights of the evening, Caitlin Dechelle who has been tearing up the NASKA circuit all year, but unseeded in the WSKF circuit. As a result she had to perform six times on Friday night that netted her wins in the 12-14 traditional weapons, 12-13 girls creative weapons and the 12-14 girls extreme weapons. Another great highlight, in the weapons’ division, was Jarret Leiker who took home the 15-17 traditional weapons and the 16-17 boys creative weapons.

Sparring was brutal for the juniors as Donald Mills and Venya Bruk pounded on each other for the title. Bruk continued through the match with nose bleeding, but in the end lost to Mills. For the team sparring, the two number one seeded boys’ teams had an upset. Team IDC’s Luke Chesney, Andrew Ford and Anthony Difilippo and Thee Team’s Brandon Yocum, Ty Hinds and Brandon Allen were taken out by top fighters from Team Twism (Frankie Fernandez, Jake Lysgaard and Donald Vickers) and Team EES (Dylan Smith, Casey Williamson and Ryan Freeman). In the end it was Team Twism versus Team EES for the title. After three exciting rounds of some excellent sparring Team EEA reigned victorious over Team Twism.

Many eyes of the evening were focused on the 3 men 1 woman team sparring. The Friday night round of eliminations would determine who would go on to fight for the $4,000.00, winner take all prize. When the smoke cleared and the brawls were halted, Team Tankson Elite and Team Straight Up Gold were the two remaining teams who would advance to the final rounds against the seeded teams of Team Straight Up Purple and Team IDC.

Perhaps the most crowd pleasing finale was the impromptu tricks battle against Team AKA’s Craig Henningsen and Team IDC’s Daniel Pitlock while waiting for the judges decision on who would win the run off for the Youth’s Weapon’s Warrior Cup. While waiting for the final decision, Henningsen decided to throw is trade marked webster. Always looking for a challenge, Pitlock decided to throw a tick of his own. This lead to an exciting tricks battle where both participants were throwing an array of moves from a standing position. This brought a very tired crowd to its feet cheering and applauding while the judges laughed and enjoyed the show. In the end, Henningsen won the run offs, but the crowds were the big winners as they watched a great performance by two top competitors.

To be continued…

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was really excited when I saw this on maslinc cuz TAC is my school and th epeople they talked about in the 4 person team were classmates/instructors

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

I know your instructor, Sensei Tankson. One heck of a fighter. I had the priviledge of judging his division at the tournament. I thought it was interesting to see Jason having to fight against his dad's team in the team fighting. (which I will post the results on sometime today)

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh