• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Steve Sanders and Donnie Williams

Jbone1

One of the things you need to understand about their hand speed is that it isn't all hands or all speed. It is moving for position at the same time you strike, reading your opponent before he moves, eliminating wasted motion, setting the opponent up. Physical speed is enhanced greatly by these things, which are more accurately termed 'apparent speed'. You can develope physical speed, but it is practically limmited by your physical qualities. You can develope apparent speed also, but it is potentially infinate.

Delta1 speaks great words of wisdom here. He is describing how old karate guys can be faster than all the young bucks out there. The key, as he said, is moving into position and eliminating wasted movement, which are things both separate and related. Moving into position makes you appear faster by moving towards your opponent as he moves towards you. Think of it this way: If your opponent moves towards you and you stay still, it'll take (pulling numbers out of the air just for the sake of example) 5 seconds. If you move towards him as he moves towards you, it'll take 2.5 seconds. He doesn't move any faster, but since you are moving towards him, you look like you move that much faster (since he knows he isn't moving any faster).

As far as eliminating any wasted movement, once again, delta1 speaks the truth. Study and practice. I'm a big fan of kata, because kata teaches you proper body mechanics and positioning, which helps you move into position and eliminate wasted movement, especially if you visualize an opponent. When you do your kata, you have to think that you are in a fight. It is something that is often said by many, but actually practiced by few. When you go to do a punch, or a backfist, or a block, are you pulling too far to the outside? Are you dropping your hands before you execute for no reason? Is there a reason you are "chambering" or trying to "power up" and attack by pulling back? Sometimes there is a pull back in moves in a kata for a specific reason. Sometimes that pull back is more important than the punch or block that occurs right after it. But sometimes, people add extra movement into their kata for no reason. Have someone watch your kata and tell them when they would strike you. If that person is standing where you visualize your opponent in your kata is, and they still feel like they can strike you, then you may be adding unnecessary and dangerous openings in your kata.

Just some rambling...I mean...advice...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks guys I really appreciate that. Good advice and principles. I understand what you mean by wasted movement and time. Instead of show cut that and accomplish the goal of the technique.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."