• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should your skills in one art transfer to another?

So I'm in this Goju Ryu club, and I've been training for almost three months now. This is my first martial art, and I seem to be getting the hang of the techniques/kata they teach us in class. Yesterday we were doing kicks (side kick to the stomach, snap kick to the stomach, and roundhouse) when this whitebelt told me she is a blackbelt in TKD. The only thing is, she had no idea how to do the what seemed to be simple kicks they were teaching us. Once she got the correct technique, she could hardly execute them (Hell, the yellow belts in our club were MUCH better than she was). This is confusing (Probably since I'm a beginner) but I thought TKD was cream of the crop for kicks, but after seeing this I don't know what to think of TKD "black belts." Don't skills you develop in one MA help you in other forms? someone explain please

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Remember,the color of your belt doesnt make you a good fighter.Either she was lying,or she wasnt a very good one or her form is was always just sloppy.Theres also the possibility that she was a black belt when she was like....a lot younger.

Not all black belts are the same.Some could be horrible or some could be really good.When i use to take tkd,i would spar black belts when i was only green belt(after yellow).Theres the dedicated and then theres the undedicated.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

I agree that this does sound a little suspect. You could expect a certain amount to carry over from one to the other, although, a lot of it depends on application of the technique. I know in my own training, after receiving my 1st Dan in TKD, I tried Tang Soo Do, and had some problems at first just because their techniques were thrown with just enough differences to mess me up for a couple of weeks, until I really had time to examine, and learn to execute the technique while oncorperating the differences. I'm not saying that this is what happened to her, but anyone looking at me on my first night with the Tang Soo Do club might have questioned me as well. Just another angle to look a it from.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

We have a former TKD black belt in our class ,he is the only one I have to use zenkutso dachi against his front snap kick into the makiwara while i am holding it, any body else I use sanchin dachi. and he has the best kicking technique I've ever seen.

either she hasn't been truthful or she is a product of a belt factory

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

i know little to nothing about goju ryu, but it they're differen't enough i can see where someone would get jumbled. i know i'm having a hell of a time with wing chun.

that said, it really shouldn't mattered. you should be focused on yourself, not her.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

i take two MA's and after a year of TKD i started Dan Zan Ryu, on my second day there i got moved to blue belt(next up to white) people say i get things fairly quick for my low belt lvl.

TKD has no move close to what Dan Zan Ryu teaches, but i got so used to making my body do what i wanted it to that when i started Dan Zan Ryu i knew how to do the move with less effort.

for me TKD has been about learning my body and its limits and the limits of others, in that since black belt, a good one that is, should understand mechanics of the body and be able to do most moves with less effort than others with no MA experience.

i believe that your MA experiance should carry over. even if you are not a BB

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

I definately think that your general skills could be transfered to another art. Correct form and power should be present if you have trained hard in a different style of arts.... things should be picked up more naturally. At first it is probably akward because a lot of the times the technique is slightly different and it takes some time to adjust. However overall I believe that if you were strong in one art, it will show when you start over in a different art.

unless your new art is differen't in principle to your base. i doubt a hard stylist, say, from shotokan, can just jump right in to tai chi. capoeira to wing chun. my buddy just started wado ryu, and what she was saying was just so different from what i'd learned before. i don't believe that just because you have a strong base in aikido, you'll be able to jump right in to tkd.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai