• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you consider Pro Wrestling a martial art?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of pro wrestlers go into UFC for example the british bulldog or Kevin Shamrock

No, it's the other way around for Ken Shamrock. He joined the WWF after a very successful career in shootfighting and MMA (UFC).

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Actually I do mean pro wrestling as those in WWE. The strikes of the pro wrestling are completely fake and useless but some of it's grappling moves are really useful and effective.

Effective moves of pro wrestling (I think)

- Closeline

- German suplex

- Normal Bodyslam

- Powerbomb (if you are strong enough that is)

- Russian leg swing

- T-bone suplex

Completely useless moves

- Chokeslam

- FU (c'mon as if he's going to let you hold him up there)

- F-5

- Vertical suplex

"Not sure" moves

- Rock bottom / book end

- Stunner

- Tombstone

What do you guys think??

... god no. who watches that * anyway, i mean really....

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I like WWE and watch it from time to time, but personally I wouldn't consider it to be a martial art. However, I think of it as a martial "sport" and I certainly have great respect for the wrestlers - they obviously train hard and are good athletes.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Professional wrestling a MA :lol: :lol: For it to even be a topic in this forum does not say much for the direction MA has taken in recent years. However I would, just about consider it a MA as some of the freestyle forms I have seen in competition. I watched a very elegant, graceful, wu shu display with extreme focus get beat by a gymnastic routine with a few kicks and punches thrown in. What practical application does doing a double back flip with a kick straight up have? What form was it ever a part of? If you can accept that I can accept WWE. :down:

Honor all things.

No way. What is the true definition of a MARTIAL ART? The dictionary defines it as "any of several Oriental arts of weaponless self-defense; usually practiced as a sport. Contemporary interest in the martial arts often focuses on their spiritual aspects, as means of increasing self-confidence, assertiveness, concentration, and personal defense. The martial arts have also become popular as forms of self-expression, similar to dance".

To compare it to pro wrestling (the entertainment and televised variety) is off base, in my opinion. First off, the "athletes" are so steroided out, you'll see a lot of them dropping dead of liver disease in the not too far off future. Granted, steroids are in MMA's also, but we're talking about martial arts collectively, not just competitive MMA tournaments.

Second, I think martial arts also defines a discipline or mindset. This whole WWE thing is simply entertainment, acting, stunts, and choreographed movements. This, to be honest, doesn't fit the criteria of what I personally perceive to be a martial art. Some may disagree here, but I think a lot of people watch this type of wrestling and think it is actually real. I find it hilarious and severly overrated and overacted.

Mixed Martial Artist

i agree with most when they say "martial sport". its all far too fake. granted fun to watch on occasion, and it'd probably be a hell of a time to perform if you didn't really want to get beat up and wanted to have some fun... but no, not a martial art, even things like XMA and wushu require great strength and flexibility and eye hand/foot coordnation

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.