• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you consider Pro Wrestling a martial art?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well XMA and modern wushu are performance based martial arts. I think pro wrestling could be considered in the same category. The moves they are doing do require lots of skill and their strength and conditioning is excellent (although maybe drug enhanced).

One of my good friends ( harry smith son of the british bull dog ) is going into the wwe within a couple years here. Non of the stuff they do is street practical, as they arnt actually hitting eachother, but they are hyper toned and conditioned to get in the shape theyre in he trains for housr everyday.

Some of the abuse to the body is real for the most part. Most of the moves are practised so the atheletes don't take much abuse to the body. Personally I would not consider Pro Wreslting a martial art. It is entertainment with good atheletes that sometimes have martial arts experience. Whens the last time you've saw a pro wrestler with a black eye after they have taken a flurry of "punches" to the face. The hole point of pro wreslting is to entertain the crowd. If the crowd seems uninterested the match is over. At $50 a seat it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what pro wreslting is all about.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I am not sure I would lump it in with most of the MA's that would be considered practical in a self defense situation, although it might fit in with certain Ma's like XMA, along the lines of what rb was saying... I think there would need to be some kind of implied application, other than entertainment, for it to fit into the "martial" aspect of the term Martial Arts. But I think it's like arguing semantics... different people, different deffinitions.

It might be kind of fun though, to do my next self defense demo in Pro Wrestling style. Guy attacks from behind with a knife, grab a folding chair and hit him over the head... then take his belt... the kids would love it :lol:

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.