• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA school really time orientated

it goes like tis at my school.

the higher belt you are, the longer it is in between testing.

in two weeks there is a test

(every month they hold testing for those who are ready)

i am OBVIOUSLY ready for my next test, but in order to test i must have 5 black tips(for technique) and i only have 3. they wont give me them because they see that im not supposed to test for another month and a half, so they do not go over my curriculum in class until my test is closer to date.

im thinking of just stop going until the test, but last time i took nearly 2 months off, they wanted to set back my date back further. and when i went to the test on time, i did better than everyone in my belt rank.

the reason i know im ready, is because i went overmy curriculum with a couple of the instructors after class and they tell me that my technique is very good for my belt lvl.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dear john,

No matter how good your technique is, it can allways use improvement. There is also bunkai (understanding), which is infinite in scope, and can never be explored enough. And I prefer to see a school with a minimum time in grade as opposed to advancing anyonewho pays the test fees!

My advice, for what it's worth, is to stop worrying about your rank and testing and concentrate on skills and understanding.

Freedom isn't free!

detla1 said it best. The testing, the belts, it's not important. What is important is that you recognize that you can always improve and you strive to better yourself.

Minimum time + cookie cutter. Id hate to be going to a dojo everyday and see someone who only comes in once a week to get to the same belt I am. and some people natrually progress faster then others. The way I see it time should not be a factor, but rather it should lie solely on skill and ability.

You have made an accusation against your instructor, that he is holding you back simply because you have not spent enough time in grade. Have you spoken to him about this? Have you made your feelings known? I mean clearly known? Not just sighing, and giving him dirty looks, but sitting down with him and explaining your feelings? Have you asked him for his reasons why he thinks you are not ready to test? Have you asked him his reasons for the minimum time in grade in order to test?

I do not necessarily agree with minimum time in grade, but their are different philosophies about testing, and before you give such a negative critique of your intructor, I would get to the bottom of his thoughts on this matter. If he will not answer, or if you can not live with his answer, then it could mean a couple of different things. One: If you are committed to training, but not whole heartedly to your instructor, then perhaps it is time to find an istructor who can earn your respect. Two: It might mean... and I am not trying to cut you down or start an argument, but it might mean, IMHO, that you may be to concerned with rank and not with your training. Just food for thought. I hope I didn't offend.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

You offended my honour, and now I challenge you to a duel. If you accept you may choose the weapons the time and the place

I'll tell you what.... I except your challenge, and concede defeat. you win :)

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I accept your challenge in foreveryoungs' stead and name my weapons as hand grenades at five feet and you may choose the time and place!

Seriously though, dear john, don't sweat the promotion thing. If your school requires it, you will have to demonstrate some or all of your previous forms for black belt anyway so use this time to keep them sharp. If it doesn't, use the time to work on putting more power into the form, when you get to the point where you can hear your feet and fists flying through the air you should have enough power. Just remember, martial arts is a journey, not a race, enjoy your journey to black belt!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

They said your technique was good for your level -not perfect. Why not go to practice and make your techniques better. That way you will be well prepared for you test.