• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most comprehensive close up fighting art

I always laugh at people that have not studied a style yet trash it, seems like a combination of fear and ignorence, I have trained thai and know it is strong but there are other styles that are strong as well

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Wing Chun really fits with most people’s idea of Kung Fu; it's not full of superfluous rubbish as far as I can see. If I was to criticise it, I'd say the kicks although practical from an application stand point (you aren’t required to do a spinning reverse kick to the temple at 1 foot range while the guy is trying to punch you) are rather hard to land effectively because of the highly specific targets.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Tiger, you're just way off man. Maybe the average MT fighter gets a better dose of physical conditioning in his training than the average TKD or Kung Fu practitioner, but if a TKD or Kung Fu (or Karate etc.) guy were to physically condition himself through running, weight training and endurance training to the same level of conditioning as an MT fighter, the style of MA either one uses would be irrelevant. It would be an equal match-up, and the more cunning, experienced and patient fighter would win, which are all traits that are up to the individual to develop regardless of what style he trains in. Haven't you ever watched UFC?

I've visited an MT kickboxing school (I have no MT training whatsoever) where I sparred (MT style) and won a number of matches just because I was better physically conditioned than my opponents. All of my technique came from my TKD and JKD training.

So how come your guys weren't able to kick my butt with their superior, no * style? :-?

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Style doesn't matter, it's the person who' using it really matters, there's no better martial art but only better martial artist.

I think when most people think of Kung Fu they naturally related it to Wushu which is only use for performce only. Like Wing Chun, Baji Quan has no fancy moves, what we lack is also kicks, most Chinese martial arts ignored the development of kicks.

As for Tiger12334, we Baji Quan fighter may not be as good as Musy Thai when fighting in the ring, but we have a much better chance suriving on the street than Muay Thai.

Just a question: Why limit yourself to only a set of a few basic moves? I can understand that it makes your strategy training easier and less cluttered, but you never know when you might need to use a certain move. Why not keep your options open?

Too many people are technique based - fighting is principle based, not technique based, IMO. we are just using two different means to utilize the exact same principle. If you understand your art's principles, you can use fewer techniques if you desire. There's really no need for every technique in most styles. However, we have preferences. I may like a half knuckle to the throat and you may like a phoenix eye. Those would be our respective choices.

Also, in training, I don't think any move is useless crap, just for the fact that it can exercise your body with movements your not used to, and muscles (muscle groups) you haven't strengthened yet, so if you ever find yourself forced to move in a certain way, you're prepared to stay on balance and counter attack from an otherwise awkward, difficult position.

there are more efficient ways to exercise your body than MA training...

Maybe certain nuances like jumping and spinning, or kicks like tornado kicks are impracticle in a fight, but that doesn't mean they're useless.

In this instance, useless is a relative term. what's useless to one may not be to another.

They still train and strengthen the body, and if you can develop a good enough execution of these techniques, you can unleash them on someone who doesn't train with such moves, and therefore probably won't be expecting them. Never underestimate a kick just because it has extraneous movements in it that might seem unecessary to YOU.

see above.

Aren't martial arts about creativity?

actually, no. They are MARTIAL arts - they are about fighting. creativity is a byproduct, as I stated above. you use techniques you prefer, and have your own style, independent of your teacher and classmates. that's not the point of martial arts, just something that happens during your learning process.

Tiger, you're just way off man. Maybe the average MT fighter gets a better dose of physical conditioning in his training than the average TKD or Kung Fu practitioner, but if a TKD or Kung Fu (or Karate etc.) guy were to physically condition himself through running, weight training and endurance training to the same level of conditioning as an MT fighter, the style of MA either one uses would be irrelevant. It would be an equal match-up, and the more cunning, experienced and patient fighter would win, which are all traits that are up to the individual to develop regardless of what style he trains in. Haven't you ever watched UFC?

I've visited an MT kickboxing school (I have no MT training whatsoever) where I sparred (MT style) and won a number of matches just because I was better physically conditioned than my opponents. All of my technique came from my TKD and JKD training.

So how come your guys weren't able to kick my butt with their superior, no * style? :-?

that is a good post. In the end, it comes down to trainin methods. Not person or style.

SevenStar, not all Kung Fu are full of craps like you mention above there are also some more straight forward ones like Baji Quan, Pao Chui, Ba Shan Fan...etc. The kind of Kung Fu you saw I believe is only Wushu which is just a performce martial art.

wrong person. I didn't say it was all crap. I did, however say that there are useless moves in mnay styles. no, I wasn't referring to wushu solely. I've trained longfist and train with wing chun guys on occasion. I work out with a group of shuai chiao guys when I can.

I do admit that Kung Fu's not as popular as bjj or judo around the world that's becuase most people study martial art just to be able to fight. Chinese martial art is usually harder to learn than most other martial art and it will take you a while before you can truth like the other form of martial arts, most people tend to skip this "Kung Fu" part to go straight into punches, kicks and throw.

I don't think it's necessarily harder to learn, it's just designed to take longer.

Yes it take longer. My teacher for example, his teacher made him to stand the Xing Yi stance for almost 4 years without teaching him anything but since Xing Yi is am internal art, you may think someone is just staying in an odd stance but actually he who practice that stance will notice that the are changed from inside.

By the way, long fist is full of crap as I say. I would rather consider long fist a Wushu or low level Kung Fu style compare to others. You can never use long fist to fight it is just a building block for more advance styles.

Being exposed to a variety of techniques allows one to have a larger base for being able to adlib, or adjust to awkward situations that may eventually occur in a confrontation. Having said this, it is important to develop a high degree of skill with a small repertoire of actions. These will be your primary tools, but they should not be your 'only' tools.

Now... what was this thread about again? :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Yes it take longer. My teacher for example, his teacher made him to stand the Xing Yi stance for almost 4 years without teaching him anything

IMO, that's crap. XY is a decent style, but anyone making you spend 4 years and only learning one stance is full of it.

but since Xing Yi is am internal art, you may think someone is just staying in an odd stance but actually he who practice that stance will notice that the are changed from inside.[

that's actually not what internal means...

By the way, long fist is full of crap as I say. I would rather consider long fist a Wushu or low level Kung Fu style compare to others. You can never use long fist to fight it is just a building block for more advance styles.

actually, what you just said is crap. The whole high level / low level talk is nothing but garbage. If you think that a "low level" longfist guy can't beat your "high level" baji, I know a bunch of people who would LOVE for you to come prove it to them...