• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummmmm, it seems everyone wants to get an opinion in even when most of the points have been said and a generaly answer has been found been agreed not to be found. But i do it too so who i am to blame...I agree too the first answer had a good outline.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Personal combat skill wins the fight. Not solely technique, nor methods of attack or training.

Then add unforeseen circumstances, and sometimes just luck.

It is about the person.

I would not limit myself to boxing rules, nor would I expect someone to live up to any other set of rules either.

So, strip away the pride and arrogance, put on some gloves and fight with no rules, save for death blows and bone crushing strikes.

Both karateka and boxer should learn to get something out of such an experience.

When we stop learning, we are dead.

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

paul buentello. He trains at an mma school, but is billed as a boxer. I'm sure he trains other things since he's at an mma school though.

So we can assume that it was not boxing alone that won him his matches. Boxing alone has many limitations when compared to karate.

When I see people representing certain styles in NHB contests, I tend to take it with a pinch of salt. Rather like fighters who claim to be "kung fu" fighters who in reality are not, and consequently end up "bouncing" their way into unconsciousness at the hands of FELLOW MMA exponents.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

So we can assume that it was not boxing alone that won him his matches. Boxing alone has many limitations when compared to karate.

not really. if you watch him, he really only punches. I've only seen a couple of his fights, but I don't think I've ever seen him throw a kick. He has knowledge of other styles, but heck, these days who doesn't? I would guess he trains boxing and bjj. If you look at the mma scene today, many successes are a mix of boxing and wrestling. When was the last time a karateka won in one of these events?

When I see people representing certain styles in NHB contests, I tend to take it with a pinch of salt. Rather like fighters who claim to be "kung fu" fighters who in reality are not, and consequently end up "bouncing" their way into unconsciousness at the hands of FELLOW MMA exponents.

nah, it's not like that. if they are mma guys, trust me, they won't claim kung fu. Now, what has happened in the past, was TMA gave a fighter an honorary blackbelt in order to claim he trained in their traditional style. The guy took the offer just because they were paying completely for his fights and he was given a blackbelt. In reality, he trained there for less than three months, if I recall correctly. The kung fu guys are really kung fu guys. They may have trained other things - like jason delucia for example - but he is still CMA trained. Heck, I've trained CMA, but I will never claim it for a fight.

Boxers are trained to fight one style, in karate you are trained to defend in many different ways....in my opinion a well trained martial artist would do quite well against a well trained boxer.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth living" Bruce Lee