• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope so. My fingers are getting tired. :lol:

lol, at least it might improve your grip somehow :-?

Lol .. dosen't seem like he needs to , White Warlock =perfect poster :lol:

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 3 weeks later...

If you took your average karateks and put him into a ring with a boxing student, then the karateka is toast.

why? cause karate doesn't train to fight these days.

Now if you took a karateka from a "fighting" school, then the boxer doesn't stand a chance. reason being that the karateka would kick out his leg in the first 5 seconds.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

with a bent leg, it's much harder to kick out the knee. A leg kick can hurt, but may not be enough to stop the initial attack. That is a very big assumption.

Yes , it takes alot more than one low kick to K.O. someone

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Sensei Mike is making a good point. If you can't kick the boxers leg out with your first kick then you might with your second one. Boxers are not generally trained to handle low kicks. Even a relatively ineffective kick to his knee may distract him enough for the karate man to enter with hand techniques, which depending on the school, will include takedowns as well. A karatekai from a fighting schools is better trained to defend against fist attacks than a boxer is against leg attacks.

If we are talking about a karate man from a FIGHTING and traditional school of karate, then we are talking about someone who will be able to use not only fists and kicks as weapons but also be able to use elbows and knees, open hand strikes and yes, even clinches and takedown techniques as weapons.

The problem nowadays is that many karate (and kung fu) schools do not train the way they are supposed to and hence the general lack of fighting credibility of many dojos/practioners. There are exceptions of course, and those are the ones I have in mind when making my comparissons.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Sensei Mike is making a good point. If you can't kick the boxers leg out with your first kick then you might with your second one.

There goes that assumption again. You are assuming that you will have time for a second kick. take someone like tyson who was great at getting inside anyway - do you think you could nail him with two kicks before he got in on you?

Sensei Mike is making a good point. If you can't kick the boxers leg out with your first kick then you might with your second one.

There goes that assumption again. You are assuming that you will have time for a second kick. take someone like tyson who was great at getting inside anyway - do you think you could nail him with two kicks before he got in on you?

Agreed- look at your argument from a boxer's point of view:

A boxer will have better hand skills and better cominations that a karateka. You say if you dont take him down with the first kick, the second will, meanwhile when you're planning to throw that kick, hes planning to throw his punch. The way he sees it is "if I dont set him up for a knockout with the first combination, surely the second one will do it."

You are ASSUMING that a kick from a traditionally trained karatekai from a fighting school is going to just bounce off a boxer's knee or leg without absolutely hurting or distracting him. Remembering that boxers have no training whatsoever to deal with leg attacks. Furthermore, a second attack can also be a hand attack. You are ASSUMING that once a boxer gets into close range then he will win against a karatekai, however, keep in mind that a hardcore karatekai will have fought short range and will have enough technique and firepower to fight close range. I will also add that he will have the option of using takedowns, which exist in traditional karate, but not boxing as far as I know.

Also, if you are going to bring Mike Tyson into it then maybe I can bring Mas. Oyama into this equasion and then I will put the battle into a street scenario and bare knuckle at that. See where I am going?

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".