• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but people should realize that boxing is a sport that prepares the trainee specifically for "the fight" with strictly applicable techniques. Now a karateka or whoever is generally trained in techniques for fighting, self defense, kata, philosophy, history etc. making their training over a multitude of facets. Now to my knowledge, boxers aren't trained to defend certain attacks like takedowns, chokeholds, grabs or whatever like most martial artists are or should be. However if a said martial artist trained more specifically for fighting like the boxer, it then comes down to who trained harder, mastered their techniques better etc. But a boxer does have a more immediate advantage after one year of training than a martial artist that started at the same time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but people should realize that boxing is a sport that prepares the trainee specifically for "the fight" with strictly applicable techniques. Now a karateka or whoever is generally trained in techniques for fighting, self defense, kata, philosophy, history etc. making their training over a multitude of facets. Now to my knowledge, boxers aren't trained to defend certain attacks like takedowns, chokeholds, grabs or whatever like most martial artists are or should be. However if a said martial artist trained more specifically for fighting like the boxer, it then comes down to who trained harder, mastered their techniques better etc. But a boxer does have a more immediate advantage after one year of training than a martial artist that started at the same time.

the principle is the same. a front kick is a straight line kick - I can parry it the same way I would a punch or sidestep it the same way.

a roundhouse kick is an arcing attack - like a hook punch. I can defend it the same way.

the only advantage the karateka really has (in some cases, because not all of them use it) are leg kicks.

The avg boxer is in MUCH better condition and has more experience than the avg tma with the same time in training.

This isnt strictly a karateka versus a boxer, but i was just kinda curious because i had never though about this before, what if a person takes out a gun or knife on you. I know in karate provided that its a close range we learn how to defend against a person who draws out a gun (but of course not stop bullets or anything liek that) and how to stop a knife attack, but what if a boxer was facing someone with a weapon. I was just curious.

Focus

there was an article on the net recently about a man who chased three knife wielding assailants from his home. They broke in, tried to rob his house and assaulted his mother. This man is a thai boxer.

like anything else, there are no absolutes, especially when dealing with weapons. When dealing with a gun, the best option is to comply.

When your against a gun your going to want to just bum rush the person, cause if you run they can still hit you but if you rush them there is a chance that they will get nervous and shaky and scared and they might freeze up.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

/tangent

When your against a gun your going to want to just bum rush the person, cause if you run they can still hit you but if you rush them there is a chance that they will get nervous and shaky and scared and they might freeze up.

Whoa!

Umm, no. Bum rushing someone means a head-on approach. That's straight at the barrel. When it comes to your life, taking chances that the wielder of the gun will freeze up... is taking too many chances. Best to edge your bets and ensure you're not in the line of fire as well.

Anyway, when it comes to a gun, most times the person wielding isn't standing close enough for melee. As to whether you should 'abide' or 'act,' it truly depends on the circumstances. Something every person here will need to determine instinctually, if the time comes (and let's hope it never does).

/tangent off

As to the boxing vs karateka, as indicated earlier there is a tendency for training and conditioning to be more intense when it comes to boxing. As well, boxers practice diligently only a few techniques. Therefore their techniques are far more developed, on the average, than that of a karateka (who is presented with a multitude of techniques, including katas, theoretical and even philosophical studies).

Boxing is about working within a very restricted set of conditions. This allows for a far more refined implementation of the limited techniques they have available, so if given the chance to utilize those techniques, they can be quite devastating. However, their studies also present problems, in that they do study under tight restrictions. These restrictions leave them wide open to certain assaults, angles, ranges and altitudes. They also practice with padding and rules protection, which causes them to develop some bad habits (like striking the side of skull, point of jaw, and cheekbones with a fist, and like not working to protect the groin or legs).

So, all in all, assuming we're dealing with 'purists' (which nowadays just doesn't happen), the karate practitioner can devastate a boxer if he is assertive in exploiting the boxer's weaknesses. On the other hand, if the karate practitioner hesitates, the boxer can close the distance and devastate the karatekan.

Assuming neither are purists, thier 'other' studies can fill the gaps of knowledge and make either/or quite formidable. The best of both worlds would be for someone to have studied 'both,' and thus have a far more intuitive feel for where the weaknesses and strengths are.

And again... in the end it is determined by the practitioner (how he thinks) and by the manner of conditioning (how he studies).

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro